Yanmar 3GM30F-YEU, raw water pump query

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
It came with the boat and not an addition. It's a Vetus Water Strainer.

Did you check if the infeed line has water?

Jun 3, 2014
Shannon 28 Branford, CT, USA
That's the plan. I'm going to recheck the impeller first, to see if it survived, then try priming. I will report out, once I get everything straightened out. Many thanks. Jim

Jun 3, 2014
Shannon 28 Branford, CT, USA
That's the plan. I'm going to recheck the impeller first, to see if it survived, then try priming. I will report out, once I get everything straightened out. Many thanks. Jim
I opened up the Johnson raw water pump cover and everything looked fine. In fact there was water in there, presumably from the pump outflow, that just sat there. I disconnected the pump inflow, and it was empty. I lowered the open end, opened the seacock, and let it drain into a 32 oz empty yogurt container, reconnected it to the pump, thus priming it. Started the engine, and within seconds it was pumping seawater out the exhaust. Thanks all for the tips and most of all to Joker460, for the concept. The pump, as you can see, is much more accessible. It will require some fiddling to replace the belt, but that should be a rare occurrence, compared to replacing the impeller. Of note, if I had not modifed the pump, as is shown, I might not have discovered that the pump belt had two tears in it, OR, that one of the pump outflow hoseclamps was clearly NOT 316 stainless. It was a raw water pump disaster just waiting to happen.

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Good to hear that you had success. It also showed that the Speed Seal did its job and saved the impeller.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Jrevkin, is your engine 2GM20F? Do you have problem getting the cw pump pulley align with the crankshaft pulley?
I took a measure and original pulley is about 3/4" from engine body whereas with modified bracket the pulley is about 1"-1.25" hence not align with crankshaft pulley. Did i missed something?