Yanmar 3GM30F raw water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
I contacted my local marine diesel shop to get spare parts for my 1987 Hunter 35' Yanmar. Last weekend coming into the dock the engine overheated. Today I checked thru hull for obstruction and had none. Strainer is clean. Pulled raw water pump off and checked my spare gasket and impeller before opening the pump and the gasket was obviously to big. I have searched and searched internet for the numbers I got off the pump but come up empty.

Stamped in the bronze I have a circle with a K a circle with a W a circle and then 1B-49. I cannot find this anywhere.....I am attaching picture of number plate....

Anybody have any experience with this pump?

Attachments

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Look at the the front cover plate to see if there is part numbers engraved/stamped into that plate. Look for "Johnson", "F4B", "901" - that sort of thing. Wire brush the surface to reveal numbers.

Edit Are you saying your Yanmar dealer cannot provide parts?

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Edit Are you saying your Yanmar dealer cannot provide parts?[/QUOTE]

No. They supplied parts based on Yanmar schematics. Who knows how many pumps an almost 30 year old engine may have gone through.....I scrubbed the cover and didnt find anything. I replaced one on another boat that had no identifying markings on the cover either.....

Honestly, I just got through this afternoon, pulling things apart and putting back together and it was too late to contact them. I will try in the AM but thought I would throw this out to the forum in the mean time.

Thank you Charles for the pointer!

Andy

Mar 28, 2010
Catalina C320 Washington, NC
Not sure if this applies, but the 3GM30F was produced in two versions....Japanese and European. The European will have an E in the beginning of the serial number of the engine. I have read that some parts are different between the two series, and I believe water pumps were one of those items. On my 2000 model, Johnson made the pump. Prices on the pumps vary quite a bit, but I found Torreson Marine was the most economical. I had a leak around the shaft seal, and after I got to looking at cost to replace the wear parts, and having the boat yard press the seal into place, I elected for a few bucks more, to just buy a new pump.....but shop carefully if you go this route since prices vary for the same item 2X.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
You can make your own gasket. Stop by in any autosupply store and pick up a sheet of gasket about the size of a page. You can trace the shape and punch holes in it using a paper punch and install them. I read somewhere that they were suggesting to use the cardboard from a cereal box - but I would not reccoment that.

Jun 20, 2006
Hunter 34 NC

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If you find that you have the original pump I would suggest that you replace the cover with a Speed-seal. This makes the entire process much easier to service. The newer ones also can be had with a teflon insert that makes the impellers last longer. This eliminates the issue with the gaskets (they use orings).

I would take the pump to the Yanmar dealer and see if they can determine what pump you actually have. As far as I know there was only one pump for the engine based on your serial number.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
3GM30F Sea Water Pump Parts

Yanmar part Numbers
Impeller 124223-42090 (50.8mm diameter, 22.1 wide)
Pump Cover Gasket 124223-42110
Shaft Water Seal 124223-42080 (TC 13287)

The seal is a standard part and can be bought at bearing supply houses.. The TC number means the bore is 13mm, the OD is 28mm, and it is 7mm thick..

First Mate Yacht, and St. Augustine Marine are Yanmar parts guys in your local area.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35 Legend Jacksonville, Fl
Since you live in St Augustine, take the pump over to Sailors Exchange, on King St. They can order anything for you.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Don't forget to "back flush" and clean the raw water heat exchanger while your at it. You may need to remove it if it is really dirty. Remember "back flush" only! Look for pieces of your impeller both past and present.
Others can chime in tell you what happens if you forward flush.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Don't forget to "back flush" and clean the raw water heat exchanger while your at it. You may need to remove it if it is really dirty. Remember "back flush" only! Look for pieces of your impeller both past and present.
Others can chime in tell you what happens if you forward flush.
Robert, I assume you disconnect the hose to the mixing elbow and attach your water hose to run water through the heat exchanger backwards. Now where does the water come out ? do you leave the raw water pump impeller plate off or take another hose off ? any tips for us newbies ??:)

Tnx, Bob

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
depcopump was great. We found the pump and I have the correct parts, installed and ran the engine. Thanks for that Joker!

I pulled the heat exchanger and it was a good 75% blocked. Took it off yesterday, dropped it off at 4 and picked it back up looking brand new at 10 this morning!

The problem now seems that a pump from a 3gm30 was put on my 3gm30f which has been throwing off the parts sourcing but I think we have that about figured out.

I have dealt with Jim and Bo at First Mate and Jim at Sailors X and they are all great and very knowledgeable. St Aug Marine gets their parts from SouthEast Power in Daytona and Ken there has spent the better part of a day working with Yanmar on figuring out why I have different parts from different engines. Very helpful.

A little off topic but anyone put a Lasdrop shaft seal in? That will be on the next haul out!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sorry for the mis-info, Pearl.. I thought you had the correct pump on it.. I am surprised that you don't have overheating problems since the pump you have cannot make as much water flow rate as the correct pump. .. Is that what fouled the exchanger, maybe?
for your pump :
impeller is 40mm diameter by 19mm wide and # 104211-42071
gasket is #104211-42090
Seal is 104211-42100

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
No problem....no way to know including me. Yanmar sent SEPower pictures of the pumps and I immediately notice mine is smaller than what is spec'ed. I didn't see flow rates but hope that is not my problem. Once I get HE back on will see what happens. Less than half the tubes were open on HE so I am hoping that will fix it.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
No more overheating

Just following up on this thread to help others out.

I rebuilt the pump. Coincidentally, at about the same time my fresh water pump started leaking at the bearing so I replaced that pump. I also pulled out the heat exchanger and once out maybe 40% of the tubes were CLEAR. No wonder she was running hot. Took that and had it boiled in acid. Got all of the appropriate gaskets and put her back together and she runs cool all day long now! I can even run her at 2500 where as before I could not.
:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.