Yanmar 3GM Starter motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Marohn

Recently our Yanmar diesel has had problems turning, the starter motor simply won't turn as if it weren't getting any power from our battery. To make things worse, it seems to happen at random times. Luckily, the most recent issue of Sail magazine has an article about trouble shooting diesel engines that simply won't turn at ignition. I pulled out my volt meter, went through the step-by-step instruction on how to locate the problem spot. Checked the battery connection, checked the ignition switch, checked the solenoid and trip switch. They all read good. The article at this point suggests that I may need to have the starter motor rebuilt. Before I grab my tool bag and start pulling things off the engine block, I wanted to see if I may have missed something...thus this message. If I do need to get my starter motor rebuilt, is this something I can remove from the engine block myself? Is it easy to reinstall once I get it back? Or should I look into a house call...$$$ Any input is appreciated!! Tina & James Marohn Perelandra - Seattle Vision 32

P

Paul Akers

Once a similar situation

Check your starter cables and ensure that there isn't a lot of extra slack. I had intermittent starting problems once when the factory-installed battery/starter cables (red & black) were excessively long and caused power drops when I pressed the starter button. I read the article today and it was quite informative and made a lot of sense. Did you try rapping on the starter and solenoid? Removing a starter isn't too difficult if you are mechanically inclined. Just mark your wires first. You should be able to see the bolts and remember that Yanmars are all metric. You can then take the starter to a shop to be tested/serviced. The advantage of having the yard do it is that it will probably get done quicker - not cheaper. If you have the yard do it, get an estimate first.

B

bill shakun

STARTER MOTOR

I REMOVED THE STARTER MOTOR AND TESTED IT AT AN AUTO GARAGE. I FOUND AN INTERNAL PROBLEM SO I BOUGHT A REBUILT MOTOR THROUGH A YANMAR DISTRIBUTOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.