Yanmar 3gm stall in lumpy seas can restart

Sep 20, 2011
Herreshoff Cat Ketch 33 Port Aransas
Engine stalls. Lumpy seas. Restarts and runs at idle. Increase throttle there is a slight increase in rpm then engine bangs hard a couple time as if pre ignition then stalls. It restarts same result. Then the third of fourth restart it begins to run ok then maybe 30 mins later stalls. Same drill gets it back again. Highly annoying close to lee shore. Help needed soon I can’t afford Kennebunkport marina!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ah the challenge of a sailboat needing an auxiliary. Skippers need to know as much about the diesel auxiliary as they do sailing.
Fortunately Diesel engines have simple needs.
  1. Air
  2. Compression
  3. clean fuel
The restarts incline me to think you are ok with 1 & 2.
Your problem may be #3. Check your fuel lines, the fuel filters, a possible clogged fuel screen in the tank pick up.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I had the same problem. It is called fuel starvation due to mostly clogged primary fuel filter. The restriction was actually in the mounting bracket. Visit Sail La Vie | 1999 Catalina 36 MK II to read more and see the related images.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Look also for loose wiring on your fuel pump, such as a loose ground connection. Got me once in the middle of a narrow channel. Fortunately I diagnosed quickly and got out the screwdriver. Later re-did everything so it would not happen again.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for fuel starvation due to clogging. Since it restarts I would be suspicious that the clogs are occurring at some kind of pre-screen on the fuel pick-up in the tank. Check your fuel filters. If you have an inspection port on your fuel tank look in to see if it looks cruddy.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The restriction was actually in the mounting bracket.
Me, too: