yanmar 2qm 15 in h33

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Hostler

My Yanmar is original equipment on my 79 h33, It runs great starts easy and uses very little oil. How long can you expect one of these engines to last? I have no hour meter. The gearbox was rebuilt a few years ago and works great but has always had a little whining noise in forward , is this normal? I was just wondering how others are doing with these old Yanmars. Thanks Kevin

R

Roland

Old Yanmars

I have the old 1 cyl. YSB 12 in my '77h 30. Rebuilt the tranny, head, and injector 2 years ago. Cylinder looked like brand new and doesn't burn oil so left it alone. Runs like a champ. (knock on wood...or is that fiberglass?) Keep clean oil and fuel in it and run it often and you should get many hours out of her. Don't know she whines, though. Maybe you need to take her out more often. Roland S/V Fraulein II

H

Henry Weber

Old Yanmars

I also have a 1977 Hunter 30 with a YSB12 diesel. I think it is normal for the transmission to whine a bit. Mine has always done this yet I have never had a bit of trouble with it. The engine popped its head gasket a few months ago so while I had it apart I overhauled most of the wearing parts but in general it was in good condition with little wear. The cylinder liner had some pin hole corrosion starting from the water side which was not visible until the liner was removed. The secret I think is frequent use to keep down the corrosion and good oil changed frequently. Don't forget to check/change the zinc anode in the block. Good luck Henry

D

Don Baker

2qm

Hey where in florida do you live? I have a 1980 33 that I bought last Fall with the same motor that you have. I sent away for the book that goes with the 2qm15 It is very helpful. thows you where the zinks go,tells you what kind of oil to use and how often to change,shows you where the fuses are and a lot of stuff you can't get from other sailors. I am losated in yulee fl. just north of Jax. my email is dbaker3598@aol.com. I am really getting used to this boat and have been sailing for 30 years. If I can help you with anything ,I would be more than willing

J

Jim Logan

You'll wear out before it will

THe 2qm15 is a very rugged engine designed to run under salt water conditions. If you change the oil and filters reguarly, and maintain as the book says to do, it will last at least 4-5,000 hrs., and then can be rebuilt if needed. Most of use don't use our engines 100 hours/year, so most engines die from either losing the water pump impeller and thus cooling flow, water in the oil, or some other lack of maintenance related item. BUy the book, observe the maintenance intervals, run the engine at least once a week if possible, and it will last as long as you need it to unless it was previously abused. By the way, max rpm on the 2qm-15 is 3000rpm, not 3600 as the 2gm series in the later hunters. Many of the parts are the same, but you should cruise at 24-2700 rpm with the 2qm unless you are in an emergency situation and need the power for a short while.

Status
Not open for further replies.