Yanmar 2GMF oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reserche

I am about to havge a friend help show me how to do an oil change on my Yanmar. I've downloaded and printed the Yanmar Quick Reference list with all the part numbers and all. However - I can't seem to see anywhere where the oil capacity is for the Yanmar 2GMF. I need to know how much oil to buy/ how much we should expect to be putting in there.

On a related note- I noticed that the oil filter is a Fram and not a Yanmar part. Do any of you have any thoughts on that? Should I get the Yanmar filter, or - would a similar part like this Fram filter work just fine.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
If you are referring to the 2GM20F

the engine oil capacity is 2 litres. See engine manual link below. I too use Fram oil filters and have never had a problem with them.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I agree with Benny.

Boatswain Locker is the master distributor down in your area. They carry Yanmar filters and there is not much difference in price, so I suggest that you consider them.

Do a little research on the quality of Fram and other filters for your own edification. I am not willing to save $2/yr on a filter in exchange for an $8,000 engine. In your case a new engine will cost about $12,000 because of the new engine bed.

As for the oil volume, it is about 1.5 - 2.0 qts +/-. The best device that we have found to remove the old oil is the Tempo Oil Boy or Moeller Fluid Extractor Pump. I think that they are both the same unit. They have semi rigid tubes so they do NOT collapse when you suck the oil out. If you have a unit with vinyl tube, the tubes will usually collapse when you put them in the warm oil.

This device is also useful for pumping any crap out of the bottom of your fuel tank should you decide to do such a task.

R

reserche

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the oil and filter tips.. I will get the yanmar filters... I'm not worried about penny pinching per see. I want to take care of the boat right....
Speaking of - the weather has been *gorgeous* lately- I'm going out for a sail Saturday! then I'll get to that pesky oil change! :)

best wishes!

Jewel

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yanmar Filter

I just changed my oil and yanmar filter yesterday and my marina charged me
$8.00 for the filter,I do use fram filters on my truck and cars but even though
$8.00 sounds high for a filter I do it about twice a year so owning a boat is never cheap,it was so easy to get the filter at my marina and pump out the old oil with the 12 volt pump out that has a five gallon can,wish it was smaller but it does work very well with plastic tubing,the trick is get the oil hot and it pumps out fast,I also use the pump to pump the old oil into a plastic jug and my marina takes it away.

Nick

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There is lots of controversy about oil filters.. The major brands are OK.. Fram will guarantee the engine if there is a failure that is due to their oil filter, as will other filter suppliers. It is very rare to have a failure that is due to an oil filter. .. I use NAPA #1568 because it is easy to get locally, but it is not cheaper than the Yanmar filter. Fram 3593A is OK as well as the Yanmar filter. Yanmar does not make filters so the Yanmar filter is made by someone else, probably by one of the big global suppliers, like Wix.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Oil Change Yesterday

I just did a oil and filter change yesterday and got the oil filter from my marina $8.00 so no big deal no running around and pumped out the oil with my 12 volt pump out from dip stick tube with plastic tubing from pump out tank is 5 gallon bucket,wish it was smaller, than pumped out of 5 gallon pail into plastic jug which my marina takes,took total maybe an hour.
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.