Yanmar 2GMF - Exhaust riser

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve G.

I'm trying to replace a rusted exhaust riser and flange from the back of the engine. I got the three bolts out, but it's still held in place by a pin. I cannot figure out how to get this pin out. I wonder if anyone can help me before I have to start pulling out the heat exchanger and all the things attached to it. I'd hate to pay labor costs for something that SHOULD be fairly simple. Any help would be appreciated...

S

Stu Sauer

2GM20F Exhaust Elbow

My 1986 28.5 has 6-7" right angle elbow up with it's 4 bolt flange bolted at the back of the engine. The 90 degree elbow is joined by a right and left thread coupling to a U shaped casting with two channels; the upper side of which has a 90 degree 1/2 or 5/8" elbow threaded in hose fitting for the water injection to cool the exhaust. The lower end of the U-type mixing elbow is connecterd to the rubberized exhaust hose running aft. Other versions are shown in the Yanmar Chilton Manual, which aparently have a different shaped mixing elbow but they all appear to have four bolts. Try a small hand held mirror to check out the bolt pattern and some penrtrating oil to loosen it.

P

Pete

broken bolt?

The exhaust should be the same on all the gm series engines so Stu's decription is exactly right. I'm wondering if the "pin" you describe is a bolt with the head broken off? Can you post a picture?Not sure exactly what you are trying to describe as there should not be anything like that,just the four bolts.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Steve, the guys are right

Make sure all bystanders are out of the way after you take out the 'three' bolts and then HIT IT with a big hammer. (or something) What's that??? You already did? Nevermind? Oh, OK.

J

John K Kudera

Take your wife's

Best make up mirror, and a flashlight, wiggle the stuff so you can clearly see what the problem is. Then go to an auto parts store and buy one with an extention handle for your toolbox. Replace hers if you got it too full of dirt! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.