Yanmar 2gm20f Throttle

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
quick question ~ I have a 95' yanmar2gm20f that has new newly installed into my 91' Hunter 30T =
runs great - it idles perfectly at 900 rpm, when you push the throttle forward for more speed, it takes about 25% of the available space between the throttle and the binnacle to engage additional rpms - so my max is about 2,000, when I believe it should be about 3,000 = I checked the idle screw and don't want to raise the idle rpms anymore than where it is,
is their an adjustment on the throttle arm, or in the binnacle, which I believe to be an Edson,
Many Thanks!!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Two possibilities:
1. Sounds like the cable is too long. If you’re lucky, you might have some room at either linkage end to adjust it effectively shortening the throw, or
2. The cable isn’t properly clamped to prevent it from moving as you move the inner core wire.

• Helpful
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Look at where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle linkage on the engine. Without the engine running, pull the throttle linkage forward which would increase rpm. If you can not move it to its full stops, then the cable needs to be adjusted. Or, as Don posted, the cable jacket support may have loosened. The problem should become apparent when you investigate at the engine.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You should be able to get 3,000 rpm’s easily, and as high as 3,600 WOT with the 2GM20F.

It sounds like a cable issue, but you could remove the cable from the engine throttle side and manually move the throttle to ensure the engine will get there. Then you know it is the cable or potentially the linkage in the pedestal (or wherever your throttle lever is mounted).

Greg

• Helpful