yanmar 2gm20f need help

Feb 18, 2014
hunter 28.5 clayton
so i don't know very much about the old yanmar but recently i have been looking at some diagrams and i can't figure out if the yanmar is cooled by freshwater in the holding tank or if it soly depends on water from the sea the reason i am wondering is beacuse it is sitting at a marina and i would like to start her up. any way that i could do this?
thanks in advance,

kyle:)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hoses

Well if you find the thru hull that supplies sea water disconnect that hose as it comes from the thru hull and put it in a bucket and have a garden hose fill the bucket with water slowly just so the bucket has enough water so the hose from engine can suck up water for cooling and this is safe way to do it.
Look on the engins for a radiator cape with antee freez in it and if so it's fresh water cooled,don't forget to check the impeller and open the value.
Are you in Ohio and freezing if so you need to rewinterize again if you run the engine with fresh water and just put antefreez into bucket and run engine until the antefreez comes out exhaust also when running engine check and make sure water is coming out exhaust.
Nick

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The Yanmar 2GM20f is freshwater cooled. If you need advice about starting the engine out of the water, send me a PM. You can also find the manual for this engine on the H28.5 website or I can send it to you as a PDF, if needed.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Technically it is both, which is what fresh water cooled implies.

A fresh water/coolant mix is circulated through the engine, then to the heat exchanger fresh water side, and then back to the engine. A holding tank with pressure relief cap accomodates fluid expansion due to heat. Raw water is circulated from the sea via the thru hull, through the heat exchanger raw water side, and then back to the sea via the exhaust. The engine heat is passed from the fresh water side, to the raw water side of the heat exchanger, drawing heat out of the system.

Feb 9, 2014
Hunter 356 Panama City Fl
I believe the "F" at the end of the model number of a Yanmar denote it being fresh water cooled, that is it has a heat exchanger.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I believe the "F" at the end of the model number of a Yanmar denote it being fresh water cooled, that is it has a heat exchanger.
Ditto! I doubt that you engine is anything other than Fresh Water cooled. You probably have an expansion tank. If that is the case there is coolant in your engine and it is a "F" model (fresh water cooled).