Yanmar 2GM20F: Engine Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
HI, all. My Yanmar 2GM20F engine will start OK, but after running for 2-3 minutes it start chugging (increasing the throttle seems to make it worse) and then it dies. It will turn over but it won't start. I then go down, bleed it by opening the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter until fuel comes out, tighten it back up and she'll start so I can get her back to the slip. Any ideas? (I'm thnkin' it must be starving for fuel for some reason. Dirty filters????)

B

Bill O'Donovan

Two things

1. Dirty filters 2. Mixing elbow There's plenty on these in the Archives.

A

Andy

Air it out

Make sure its getting air too. If the air filter has gotten old, patially suck down the intake it may be smothering. But my first guess it that the fuel filters need to be replaced-both the primary (usually a water seperator RACOR filter) and the primary Yanmar filter. You might also look for any kinked lines that might suck in air. To check the plugged vent, see if it will run without the fuel cap on.

N

nick maggio

Air Leak

It could be all the things already mentioned,same thing happen to freind and it was a bad fuel line sucking air.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
blocked pickup tube.

Check the pickup tube in the fuel tank. Some have a screen on the end of the tube.

F

Farley

air

If none of the other ideas work, try bleeding the system at the injectors. Had a similar problem years ago - it worked for me.

Jun 3, 2004
Pick Up Tube

I once had this persistent problem and after struggling for months with all the previous suggestions I discovered the pickup tube in the fuel tank was square on the end, was resting on the tank bottom and thus pump did not flow sufficient fuel. Made diagonal cut on bottom of tube - problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.