Yanmar 2GM throttle issue

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
Still getting familiar with my I-30 having come from an I-28 with an Atomic 4. During my first season with it (last year), I noticed that both the throttle and gear controls were very stiff. Furthermore, I could never get the throttle to stay put in full throttle mode, so I had to keep my hand on it or the speed would keep dropping off. Today I did some exploring and discovered the clamps that are attached to the control cables. I loosened the throttle one and the good news is that the throttle arm moves much more easily. The bad news is that it pretty much moves to the center position almost immediately. On my I-28, wherever I moved my throttle, that's where it stayed. Is the I-30 set up designed this way on purpose? Do others have the same issue with their Yanmar? Is there a workaround?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Ahh, diesel engines! If adjusting the clamps is no improvement, perhaps it is time to change the cable. (measure the old one before you go shopping) Also, check the routing of the cable to see that all turns are long ones. Perhaps the cable can be lubricated??

Yesterday I changed the fuel shut off cable on our Yanmar because it had become difficult to pull.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what kind of throttle/gear control do you have in the cockpit....is it pedestal mounted or is it bulkhead mounted....if pedestal mounted there is usually a tension bolt inside the pedestal that you can adjust......if bulkhead mounted there is a cable clamp you can get to control this

Dec 22, 2012
The cable appears fine. I had disconnected it from the throttle and loosened the clamp and it moved very freely.
So basically you're telling me that the position of the throttle is controlled by friction of the clamps against the cable. The spring back of the throttle makes it more like the action of a car accelerator than a throttle.

Ahh, diesel engines! If adjusting the clamps is no improvement, perhaps it is time to change the cable. (measure the old one before you go shopping) Also, check the routing of the cable to see that all turns are long ones. Perhaps the cable can be lubricated??

Yesterday I changed the fuel shut off cable on our Yanmar because it had become difficult to pull.

Dec 22, 2012
It's an Edson pedestal. I'll look inside for the tension bolt but I have the cable clamps below so I'm wondering if I'll actually find the tension bolt. Still, all in all, it surprises me that the adjustment relies on friction alone. Seems that if I adjust the clamp tight enough to ensure that the highest speed setting is held, then the action of the control becomes very hard across the entire speed range.

what kind of throttle/gear control do you have in the cockpit....is it pedestal mounted or is it bulkhead mounted....if pedestal mounted there is usually a tension bolt inside the pedestal that you can adjust......if bulkhead mounted there is a cable clamp you can get to control this