Yanmar 2GM, Starter panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe DuFresne

Recently, when I kill the engine the alarm buzzer does not come on. Then when I turn the key to start her up again, still no buzzer and the start button doesn't engage the starter. I ended up having to go down and short the terminals on the starter to start the engine. I haven't had time to do a full troubleshoot diagnostic on it yet, but thought I'd put the feeler out to see if anybody had any ideas for me to look for this weekend. Also, shorting the starter can't be good, am I right?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Does the test switch work?

Joe: When you flip the test switch up it should run through the diagnostics (I thought that this is how it works). Have you tried this? If that works then you may just have a problem with the wire or the sensor on the engine.

D

David

Panel

Not all panels have a test switch. If you have to short the starter it sounds like something more than sensors. Maybe a faulty key switch or loose switch terminals not allowing the circut to open.

J

Joe DuFresne

Starter panel

The dummy light test switch isn't working; after shorting the starter solenoid, now the tach isn't working either. I'm thinking either the 30amp fuse is blown or some contact is lose somewhere (checking this weekend). Thanks for your quick replies!

C

Chris

bad wires

A similar problem occured on a freiend's 1 year old H 270. Traced it down to a bad wire in the harness feeding the control panel. You are going to have to get a meter and wring out your wires, but first check connections and fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.