Yanmar 2GM gear shift issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2013
Hunter 31 Toronto
Anyone experienced delayed shifting into Forward on their Y2GM? I shift into gear and can't get it to actually shift until it has like 1600 to 2000 rpm and get a ca-chunk sound which I know can't be good for the transmission life. Oil is topped off on the trans, the spring loaded tip on the shift arm is a possible culprit, but it works often, just not always.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Try having someone push it manually (from below) and see if the delay disappears. If it does, lube the cable and make sure it is pushing the lever all the way until it clicks..if it does not push to the click, adjust the cable so that it does.. after doing that, be SURE that it still engages reverse.
EDIT: be very careful to not get into contact with the rotating coupling parts while troubleshooting.. remove anything that might get caught.... watches, rings, long sleeves..

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2013
Hunter 31 Toronto
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's one of those issues that magically goes away when there is a mechanic looking for the cause. I don't think it happens when the engine is cold.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Tranny engaging only at higher RPMs is generally a sign of the clutches slipping inside. Caused by cable or lever adjustment that prevents it from engaging properly. Or wear ! Do as Kloudie suggests. Do it in step, i.e, disconnect the cable at the lever on the tranny and have someone activate it from the pedestal while you watch for full movement. Then start the engine and with cable still disconnected, activate the lever manually to see if the tranny engages properly. You need to go out and run long enough to warm the tranny oil up before you do that. When it's cold it almost always works perfectly. When it is hot, the oil gets thinner and the clutch will slip more. If you do not want to go out, secure the boat tightly in its berth and run it in gear at +/- 1200 RPM. It will take longer but it will warm it up enough to test it. Last suggestion, extract all the oil (need to pump it up) and replace with proper oil. The plate on your tranny will tell you what's required. Do not use transmission oil if it calls for straight 30 grade oil. And do not overfill over the mark on the stick. After you've done all that, if it still slips, then you are looking at worn clutches inside the tranny. Which means a rebuild. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 Poulsbo, WA
yes it happened to me

The problem started when I installed a wheel auto pilot that required a modified shift lever. The new setup did not allow me to shift all the way into forward and I would have to rev the engine before the forward gear would engage. Adjusting the shift linkage fixed the problem. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.