Yanmar 2 GM Port Side Zinc Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
I have a Yanmar 2GM on my old 83 Hunter 30. There is a zinc on the port side near the secondary fuel filter and lift pump. The zinc is behind a large plug that is frozen in place. There is not much room to get a wrench on it and the PO seems to have rounded the corners of the plug.

I've tried PB plaster without success. I'd try a little heat from a torch but it's very close to the fule filter and lift pump. I'm afraid if I put a big breaked bar on it I'lll destroy the head of the pug or wore still crack the engine side wall.

I replaced the zinc on the rear of the motor without a problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated......

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
3GM is similiar. I replace mine at same time as fuel filter, removing filter bracket from engine and using a breaker bar. Use pb blaster and breaker bar to remove carefully. Lefty loosey...

Worked for me at least when I thought mine wasn't coming out. I had more of an issue with the one at end of head. It never came out but was able to replace the whole bracket not sure if 2GM has one at the end of head.

You can use never seize upon reinstallation to make it easier next time.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
Easy

Can you take a picture of it? I wanna make sure we are on the same page before I tell you how to do it. How bad was the other zinc?
Tony

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
Is it a 2gmf or just a 2gm? I was told the 2gmf does not have zincs even though the book says it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.