Yamaha F6 on a MEGA 30 ?

Aug 21, 2014
Grampian Classic 31 Trois-Rivières
Hi
Is a Yamaha F6 enough for a MEGA30 ?

I've read some threads online and found that i need 8HP (or a 9.9) that kind of boats but it bugs me since the MEGA is a pretty light 30 footer. I'm near Trois-riviere in Quebec. I will sail the "Fleuve Saint-Laurent", that mean I need at least enough power to go against its current going up if needed.

I found quite a few F6 for sale. They looks like healthy little engine that won't pump too much gas and will be ez to carry around of needed.

Thanks for the answers.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
Since the Mega 30 is a relatively light sailboat, a 6 hp outboard should be enough for docking and maneuvering depending on current and head wind. Same question came up on this thread and the posts might surprise you Will a 6hp outboard drive my 4000 lb boat? | SailNet Community.

This article is what some say about motor size What Size Outboard Motor for What Size Boat? (Boat Horsepower Chart) (triumphboats.com)
Thanks for the answer. That confirmed what I've read before. I might go with at least 8hp.

I also found some Mercury 9.9 with bigfoot, they seems very well suited for sailboat.

I think I won't cheap out too much on the engine.

Aug 21, 2014
Just a heads up, got myself a Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke. Was at a good price, barely used engine.

Will test it but i might swap the propeller to a more torque oriented one. I dont need the speed of all these 15hp.