Yamaha 33 would you buy one today?

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Hello All
Looking at a 1978 Yamaha 33.
It is outfitted with all fairly new electronics, set up for crossing to Hawaii out of WA State with ten fairly new sails in last couple years. The boat is very clean considering making an offer on her but curious if you were new in the sailing game would this be a good fit for a family of five wanting to go camping in a boat, learning to sail and possible racing in local events with the kids?

Would you buy one today or is there a better fit? I know there are roomier boats but I want strength, safety, comfort and the ability to handle a bad day in the event weather did not cooperate. We run our power boat up to the west coast of Vancouver island and the weather does not always agree with travel plans.

Thanks in advance for your help. If you were looking at one tomorrow of this age what specifically would be of concern?

John

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John,

My opinions only, based on my experiences.

1. Your experience should tell you whether this boat is capable of going to Hawaii, given your time on the west coast of Vancouver Island. I've been, not by boat, to Port Alberni, Tofino, and Ucululet on nice days, but also understand from friends and reading that it can get treacherous. Ask yourself the right questions, which I think you may already know.

2. I'd consider the Y33 a coastal cruiser. By definition that provides limits.

3. Given your power experience, would your family be comfortable down below, at anchor and in the cockpit?

4. IIRC, the deckhouse up forward and on the sides is quite canted. And the bow quite narrow for anchoring work. Sometime or other you're gonna have to spend time up there. Would you think you could do so safely?

5. Even with the suit of sails, what's the engine and its condition?

Good luck, but I personally think there are a lot better boats to take to Hawaii. If you wanna stay around The Island(s), it's fine, but perhaps limited.

All the best,

Stu

PS

There's also this: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=102541

And this:

Three things to check

Like any boat, check it out, but here are three things I suggest to everyone:

1. Dipstick access. If it's a pain to do, you won't, nor would the PO. Is it easy to get to or do you have to tear the cushions out?

2. What engine? Are spare parts reasonably available? Yanmar parts are hard to get (worse in Canada). And very expensive. Not a deal killer, but... Universal engines are Kubotas so tractor stores have the parts. Yanmar are reputed to be available world-wide, Kubota not so much, but they're both tractor engines on boats in the 30-38 foot range.

3. Sleeping - try out the berths. Really. Our boat has what I have found to be THE largest V berth of any boat in its size class, even the C36s. Try out the berths. Try out the berths...

[FONT=&quot]Courtesy Boatman61 on www.cruisersforum:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Make up a list of boats that are up for sale near you that are accessible to viewing externally.. tromp the pontoons and check out the exteriors.. salty enough.. or trendy enough.. the way the exterior is maintained tells a hell of a lot.. not so much the gleaming S/S.. more the general appearance.. sloppy lines, mildewed running rigging.. the way the sails are stowed.. can tell one a lot before you even look below.. don't like it.. Scratch it..

A coupla w/ends of this you'll have a short list..
Call the brokers or owners and set up 2 viewings a day for when it suits you and then go for it.. – limit the viewings and take cameras & lotsa photos.
Get on Board.. the more knowledgeable checks out the top while the other heads below.. now some boats.. I don't know why.. but as soon as you reach the bottom of the steps its: “No Way.”
Not because its a mess.. just a kinda antipathy.. don't strike any others of the same model off the list.. unless it happens again. Its weird..
Anyway.. when you've both finished nosing around.. ask the broker or owner for some time alone together one the boat.. no excited patter/chatter or this good.. that bad..
That's for later.. this is bonding time.. sit back.. maybe lay on the bunks.. and open up.. you'll know what I mean when it happens.. that little smile with eyes closed on both your faces means.. You've found THE Boat..
And you'll go home and start scheming how to get it yesterday...
[/FONT]

Feb 26, 2004
Sorry for the image links that don't work, forget them. They are just emoticons.

PS – There is a Kubota tractor dealer just outside Duncan, BC on the Island, right on Hwy 1. Great folks (July 2015).

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Thanks Stu
Excellent points to be honest I would like to spend the night on it just to try it out. It has an interesting one cylinder Yanmar. Strangely enough running at the dock it is no louder than most 2 cylinders and supposedly moves it out quite nicely. Looking for some more input on the engine also from those that have run them

John

Dec 31, 2012
Merit 25 Portland
I have owned a Yamaha 33 for ywo years. Mine is a 1982, which has the engine under the companionway. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to Hawaii, but with two people. It is not big enough for five people, their gear and the necessary supplies to go to Hawaii. The cockpit would be crowded if all five of you were in it, especially if it has a wheel. You would have to carry a lot of extra fuel and water or install a water maker.
The 33 is, in many ways, overbuilt. When I compare the hardware on it with other boats, I am impressed. If you want an idea of what a 33 can do, read http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Sailing/Trial-by-Tasman-a-delivery-tale_1943824.aspx

Rick
Vaporware
Portland

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Thanks Rick
We don't intend to take it to Hawaii. I was just trying to demonstrate that she is ready and could according to the current owner. We will be using it in the PNW between Seattle to Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and Alaska. Typically a week or so in one direction in my guess. So would you buy one again for this type of sailing?
John

Feb 26, 2004
We will be using it in the PNW between Seattle to Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and Alaska.
John,

Rick's experiences are priceless. One thing to consider, though, is that this cruising "plan" may actually have worse conditions than one would experience in a mostly (after you clear SF) downwind slog to Hawaii.

Whatever, good luck.

PS - For Rick, what engine (other than under the stairs)? Would a single cylinder engine be enough to propel a 33 foot boat? Just askin'...

For John --- that link is very interesting reading. The repairs made before the trip are a great checklist for you! :eek::eek::eek:

Dec 31, 2012
Merit 25 Portland
Thanks Rick
We don't intend to take it to Hawaii. I was just trying to demonstrate that she is ready and could according to the current owner. We will be using it in the PNW between Seattle to Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and Alaska. Typically a week or so in one direction in my guess. So would you buy one again for this type of sailing?
John
Yes. I bought mine in Friday Harbor and we sailed it down the coast to the Columbia. The only concern I would have about your proposed use is space. It would be awfully tight with five people for any period of time.

Rick

Dec 31, 2012
Merit 25 Portland
John,

PS - For Rick, what engine (other than under the stairs)? Would a single cylinder engine be enough to propel a 33 foot boat? Just askin'...
The engine on mine is an 18 HP 2 cylinder Yanmar. There used to be two 33's at our marina in Portland. The other one was the earlier model. The owner said that the single cylinder was sufficient. Apparently the long shaft puts the propeller at a more efficient angle than the aft location. We are right on the Columbia, which has a current as fast as 3 knots. He sold it and got a Catalina 350 because his wife likes the room and newness of the Catalina. He told me the Yamaha is a much better sailing boat and more solidly built.

Rick
Vaporware, Portland

Dec 31, 2012
Merit 25 Portland
John,

Rick's experiences are priceless. One thing to consider, though, is that this cruising "plan" may actually have worse conditions than one would experience in a mostly (after you clear SF) downwind slog to Hawaii.
The Yamaha is a great windward boat. I can sail a lot closer to the wind than many boats I race against on the Columbia and we do a lot of upwind sailing on the River. She has 4400 lbs of lead in the keel. That's a lot for a 9800 lb displacement boat. Our trip from Friday Harbor to Portland was my first offshore trip. Our captain had done the trip many times and he said that it was the roughest trip he had ever seen. Vaporware handled it with no problem. Better than her crew, as three of the four of us were miserably seasick. I don't think I've eaten oatmeal since. :D

Rick

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
We have seen many boats this size and keep heading back to this one. Can you guys confirm the hull and deck construction? Is there any filler or is it solid glass?

Thanks

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
My wife, two sons (one teen the other pre-teen) have had our 1981 Yamaha 33 for 6 enjoyable years. Our boat has the 2 cylinder Yanmar under the cockpit and we have a slight different interior than the earlier version with the motor under the V-berth. The differences are that our version has a narrower double quarter berth, solid lockers with a wood frame under the settees in the main cabin (I put an offer once on a mk1 that had two pilot berths with zip enclosure lee cloths- I assume this was because the boat was designed for long distance ocean racing), one pilot berth on port and fantastic storage all above the starboard settee. I believe the mk1 had a clever arrangement of convertible settes where the inboard rail stretches a fabric base to support the matress. The mk1 had a 12 hp single cylinder Yanmar in the bow with a very long proportion shaft. In addition to the strut there are two "pillow block bearings". Make sure the surveyor checks these as the prop shaft has to come out to replace them. Our mk 2 has the battery box in the main cabin under a settee and I was able to fit 4 AGM wheel chair batteries in it 340 amp.hr capacity). Don't rember where the batteries are on the mk1. Is this boat you are looking at the tall rig version with lead keel? Many have iron keels which are a maintenance issue.

Our boat sails extremely well, points high and has a protected rudder with the skeg. It's hard to fit a windlass to these boats but for cash anything is possible. I've had four kids sleep in the v berth overnight but normally the kids sleep in the v-berth when we go away for 5-6 weeks. if you had kids sleep in the main cabin you could have them sleep on the settees and in the quarter berth and you and your partner in the v-Berth but we find we use the quarter berth for storage (mind you we take a lot of crap with us). Keep in mind you may motor at 6.5 kts (we do with our 15hp Yanmar) so going to Alaska you will probably need more than 6 weeks -not a power boat. We find the design dry inside because of the two dorade vents and we can close all of the hatches in bad weather as long as we're not cooking. The v berth is very large (I've been in many at boat shows) and the workmanship and engineering is excellent. The hull is solid glass and surveyor told me that Yamaha didn't use roving in their layup but many, many layers of cloth super well squeegeed out. Our 33 has no blisters and the Yamaha 30 we had two boats previously had none either. I've been told that Yamahas are one of the few sailboats that don't blister without a barrier coat. The foredeck is fine for anchoring but the baby stay is a pain since our inflatable dinghy dosen't fit. Maybe the boat you are looking at has a quick release?

The problems with the boat are the windows leak as the sealant fails. More than other boats I suspect. Also ice box is 170 litres but the insulation is only 1 inch thick from the factory. Don't know what they were thinking. I added a lot of insulation and refrigeration. I think that Yamahas have aged well and are a quality product. I remember going to the boat show in 1984 and saw a Yamaha 28 for sale. Was really impressed with the engineering/industrial design and thought that someday I would like to own a Yamaha sailboat. At the boat show the price of the Yamaha 28 was more than the Catalina 36 next to it.

Our Yamaha 33 sails better than the Yamaha 30 we owned (also a rear engine model). I've been told that having the motor in the bow makes for quiet motoring but I heard from someone I raced with back in the late 80's that the Yamaha 30 was a wet boat when someone had to go forward for a sail change. The 33 is a different hull shape with I think relatively more buoyancy in the bow. You should ask someone WHO OWNS one if the mk1 Yamaha 33 is a wet boat.

Pacific Yachting did a sail test of one in the early 80's. Check out there website you might be able to buy a re-print.

Talk too much.

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Rick

Thanks for the input. This one has a windlass custom fit and well done. I have no idea if the earlier version is wet or not, anyone with some history on this would be great to hear.

Dec 31, 2012
Merit 25 Portland
Any chance of getting some photos of how the windlass was done? My neighbor who had a MK1 never mentioned anything about it being wet. I'll ask him next time I see him. If you're going to be cruising rather than racing, you're not likely to be changing sails while underway. I have a working jib and a 135 Genoa on a roller furling. The only time I changed the head sail was when I removed the Genoa for repairs.

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Can anyone tell me what kind of cruise speed this boat type will get with the single cyl 12hp?

Assuming zero wind and current