Yamaha 30 Sail from Seattle

Aug 25, 2015
Yamaha 33 Bellingham
Hi Richard

Nice ride, it looks like you have the forward engine, what kind of cruising speed can you get with the one cylinder?

John

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
We averaged 5 kn down the coast at around 2000 rpm for about 30 hours. The boat might make 6 kn wide open, but smokes at that load, so I don't run her long at that speed. The boat has a clean bottom and has a YSM12 under the forward berth.

Her max rpm is only about 2400 and it should be closer to 3000. I just run her easy. Handles nicely around the docks and backs just a bit to starboard.

Nov 6, 2015
Yamaha 30 Cowichan Bay, Bc
Ahoy! We have the "Samurai", our 1981 Yamaha 30, since Nov 2014. We've spent since June 2015 getting the YSM12 running properly, and adding a fresh water cooling retrofit. We're planning on water time starting in April. We even gave away our chickens in preparation to spend boating time out in the Salish Sea.

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Ahoy! We have the "Samurai", our 1981 Yamaha 30, since Nov 2014. We've spent since June 2015 getting the YSM12 running properly, and adding a fresh water cooling retrofit. We're planning on water time starting in April. We even gave away our chickens in preparation to spend boating time out in the Salish Sea.
So how, or should I say where, did you add the fresh water cooling?
jcm

Nov 6, 2015
When my mechanic and I went through the engine after a serious overheating issue, all but one of the cooling ports were blocked with salt. After the various cleaning and repairs were done, including him manufacturing a brass sleeve from a bar of bronze (for the alternator shaft having been damaged during the overheating), he mentioned putting a coolant/heat exchanger system on the boat to prevent any future corrosion from raw water in the engine.
He replaced the raw water pump with a dual water pump. Raw water in, pumped to a heat exchanger (on the forward engine bulkhead), with the coolant pump running the other side of the pump. There is now an expansion tank on the starboard engine bulkhead, with the various hoses doing their thing. I should say that the heat exchanger is only approx 12 inches long by 3 inches in circumference, and the expansion chamber is 4 inches in circumference by 8 inches long, so that fit easily in the engine compartment with plenty of the original working space. Even the hoses are fair to navigate around. I can send photos if you like.
The fact that he has 50 years of marine diesel and gas knowledge behind him, and that he had done over one hundred such retrofits, made it sound pretty good. This fellow has built his own tractor from a VW diesel, as well as being one of the go to marine mechanics in the area. At 71, he is trying to retire, but probably won't until he can't lift a spanner anymore.
That he charged me $20/hour for his many hours of labor, was greatly appreciated as well. Old school guy who loves his life.
I've also replaced the starter with a new Mitsubishi starter for $195 Cdn., as well as added a temperature gauge in the cockpit. I'm planning an oil pressure gauge as soon as I'm ready to run the wire again.
Cheers...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
When my mechanic and I went through the engine after a serious overheating issue, all but one of the cooling ports were blocked with salt. After the various cleaning and repairs were done, including him manufacturing a brass sleeve from a bar of bronze (for the alternator shaft having been damaged during the overheating), he mentioned putting a coolant/heat exchanger system on the boat to prevent any future corrosion from raw water in the engine.
He replaced the raw water pump with a dual water pump. Raw water in, pumped to a heat exchanger (on the forward engine bulkhead), with the coolant pump running the other side of the pump. There is now an expansion tank on the starboard engine bulkhead, with the various hoses doing their thing. I should say that the heat exchanger is only approx 12 inches long by 3 inches in circumference, and the expansion chamber is 4 inches in circumference by 8 inches long, so that fit easily in the engine compartment with plenty of the original working space. Even the hoses are fair to navigate around. I can send photos if you like.
The fact that he has 50 years of marine diesel and gas knowledge behind him, and that he had done over one hundred such retrofits, made it sound pretty good. This fellow has built his own tractor from a VW diesel, as well as being one of the go to marine mechanics in the area. At 71, he is trying to retire, but probably won't until he can't lift a spanner anymore.
That he charged me $20/hour for his many hours of labor, was greatly appreciated as well. Old school guy who loves his life.
I've also replaced the starter with a new Mitsubishi starter for $195 Cdn., as well as added a temperature gauge in the cockpit. I'm planning an oil pressure gauge as soon as I'm ready to run the wire again.
Cheers...
Wow. $20 per hour. Count your blessings!
Sounds like a very workable solution. Is there enough cooling within the engine compartment?
At any rate, I can't install that at the moment (in the process of moving into a new to us house!) but would love it if you could send me some photos for future reference.
My starter has always been .... inconsistent. Or the solenoid, whatever. What model of mitsubishi starter?
Been a month of expenses for me: First was a new tiller master, then a new chartplotter/sounder (discontinued model), repair to furling jib (leech cover), rusted out exhaust elbow, and am currently I'm awaiting a new head gasket on my. Aaaarrrrgggg :-( But gonna be great when all is done!

cheers
jcm
Satori
Sidney

Nov 6, 2015
Top view of freshwater cooling .jpg Top view of freshwater cooling .jpg Top View of freshwater cooling resized.jpg

Here are photos of the freshwater rig. The blue lever acts like a thermostat. If the motor were to get hot, I shut the valve which sends more coolant through the heat exchanger. The original thermostat didn't like working with the coolant.

Last edited: