Yamaha 25-ii: hello Piccolo

Sep 8, 2021
yamaha 25 mkii tall rig vancouver
Hello! Just dropping a line to introduce Piccolo (I believe it was the sister ship to Adagio), both originally located at Vancouver Island and used for racing. (Unfortunately that's all the history I have).

Piccolo (she/he?) is in good nick; diesel starts up well; boat has been maintained by the prior owner, and now the boat is mine! Have got a 150 on furler and asymmetrical. Main is a sail pack.

For general maintenance, just going to clean out the fuel tank for now, fix cotter pins, maybe change some sheets. I noticed that my top portlight window has completely darkened / blotched from sitting in the sun. Has anyone been able to change out the pane for Lexan, or is it a cut and hack job? I might try sanding the pane to make it at least uniform, as right now it's completely dark and lets no light through.

Anyone managed to put a holding tank in this boat? Got a porta potty with macerator for now.

Thanks, looking forward to learning how to maintain the boat.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
I loved my Y25. Easy to sail and easy to motor around the docks. I didn't replace the portlights on that boat, but have done them on a Y30. I went to TAP plastic near Seattle with the removed originals and they made exact replacements. If I recall correctly, TAP said Lexan was stronger, but acrylic didn't scratch as easily. They had duplicates built in a couple of days. Removing the old caulk and rebedding was a gooey mess.

I might have mis-read your post, do you mean in the foredeck hatch? I couldn't see through it, but it did let a little light in the cabin. I wonder if paint is the fix.

The portapotty isn't great, but a holding tank is hard to fit. Everyone I know says a composting toilet is the answer.

Congratulations on the new boat. Piccolo looks great!

Sep 8, 2021
yamaha 25 mkii tall rig vancouver
Thanks for the tip on the portlights @Ameseys, mine do need to be replaced too as they've faded from sitting in the sun for years. You're correct, I meant the foredeck hatch, I thought it was originally clear. The hatch looks like it is a single piece molded with the frame. Baffling!