yahmar 1cyl w/ hand crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Sharpe

Has anyone used a hand crank to start a yahmar 1cyl engine? if so, any problems?

C

charlie

be carefull

never tried it no help here anything in your engine manual ?

C

CORKY TROTTER

hand crank

Don't know if it applies to diesels but in the old days(so I am told) when people hand cranked cars the trick was to not wrap your thumb around the crank. Reason being, if it back fired you would not break your thumb. I did drive some old tractors that had cranks hanging out of the front but never had to use them. Yes, I am old, as a matter of fact have a birthday tomorrow. Did kick start some motorcycles. good luck. ct

B

Brett

Been There, Done That

I've hand-started my 1978 YSM-12 several times due to starter problems. It is not the easiest thing to do, because of the long reach in to the decompression lever. The basic procedure is to press the decompression lever, and start cranking (give the engine about 1/2 -3/4 throttle). Crank until your arm is ready to fall off and then release the lever while trying to crank through the compression stroke. You do need to BE CAREFUL of kickback on the handle as the compression starts. If the engine is cold it will take several attempts. It is doable and not fun, but it beats waiting for a tow. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.