Yacht Authority

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just thought I'd put a post up here to say that these guys are spammers engaged in unethical business practices.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Ain't it the truth. Hey Phil...which Battleship is in your Avatar?

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
A Destroyer of sorts. Looks like it could do some serious damage!

My Dad was on a "LST" in WW2... he affectionately called it a "L"arge "S"tationay "O"bject!

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Hey Rich, My dad was on LSTs too. I think they were LST 548 and LST 642. He called is Large Slow Target. Do you know what boats your dad was on? Was your dad in Atlantic, Pacific, of both Fleets?
When the restored LST was in Mobile I took a tour. What a tank of a ship!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That's the Missouri; I walked the deck of that ship as a kid, when it was docked in Bremerton.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Phil,
Is that the Iowa Class Battleship group?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm no expert, but I think the Mo and the Iowa were of the same generation. If I'm not mistaken there was a third battleship in that group... anyone remember the name?

Jun 7, 2004
Oday O'Day 222 Bass Harbor, NJ
The other Iowa class ship was the New Jersey. Restored and open for tours in Camden, NJ

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
USS Oklahoma

Was another Iowa class battleship. My dad was on it before Pearl Harbor. I have a picture somewhere with him standing up on the foredeck and in the background the Golden Gate bridge was under construction. I'm trying to find it.

edit: Made a mistake, Oklahoma was a Nevada class battleship.

Last edited:

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
testing my memory..

Phil- wasn't the Missouri where the Japanese signed their surrender?

cup

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I too have been on the "Might Mo". Visited there in Bremerton.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
There were 6:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_class_battleship

4 were commissioned - 1943 on...

they are STILL good ships.. would take some restoration - but still possible..

"Even though Congress was concerned with the loss of surface support that a battleship provided, they passed Pub.L. 109-163, the National Defense Authorization Act 2006, to allow the Iowa to be stuck from the Naval Vessel Register for donation.[28] However, whoever receives the Iowa must maintain her in a state of readiness should she ever be needed by the Navy again.[28] If such an emergency arises, Iowa would be immediately transferred back to the Navy for use.[28] Iowa is currently berthed at Suisun Bay in San Francisco, California.[26][29]"

I find that they are still capable vessels.... to be just AMAZING...

like B52s - built in the 50's.. still flying and 1/2 as old as general aviation itself.....

just freaking amazing.. it says A LOT about the people who served on them and those that designed them...

I am not getting political here, Phil.... but what thing built today will last like these amazing ships?

My Lathes are Southbend and Taig... the Southbend 10L and 16s date to a time where they were used by the War Department to work on vessels of the period... They'll last, too....

--jerry

FWIW....

I crawled all over the Texas (near Houston) while it was undergoing refit... It is STILL an amazing ship too.... You walk through the silent engine room and below decks... I swear I can hear earlier times with engines going and running feet...

I do not think any other Dreadnought class vessel is still around from WWI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Texas

She'll be 100 years old in 2010.

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That really is remarkable. They're beautiful ships, I think, a great shear line and hull form. Amazing how long things can last when they're not made of plastic. :)

Check out the motion to port in this photo of the Iowa, taken 1984.

Jim: you must post that photo!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Not surprising, if they fired a full broadside of NINE sixteen inch guns. :)
That really is remarkable. They're beautiful ships, I think, a great shear line and hull form. Amazing how long things can last when they're not made of plastic. :)

Check out the motion to port in this photo of the Iowa, taken 1984.

Jim: you must post that photo!

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
The fourth Iowa class battleship is the Wisconsin. Birthed in Norfolk,Va. It has finally (officially) been decomissioned.
It serves a a major tourist attraction for downtown Norfolk and has it's forward 16" guns aimed at Virginia Beach.... just in case us folks out here in Va Beach get (even more) disrespectful of our Norfolk neighbors.
When you cruise South on the ICW, the Wisconsin is at mile post 0.. and it IS impressive.