Y33 sea trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, I did the sea trial of the '78 Y33. Backing out of the slip and moving toward the harbor entrance was uneventful. A little different than I am used to since this boat had a tiller. Out of the harbor and into open sea, the boat was sluggish and slow to respond. Might be because it was 10,000 pounds and I am use to sailing a 4600 pound boat. Winds were light, less that 5mph and the boat never really got moving. I can see that this boat is not a light-wind boat. But as the wind picked up to around 8, she started to really take on speed. I found myself fighting the tiller as we were moving through the water. I don't have that issue with a wheel, so I wonder if the rudder was a little loose. Tacking was easy because the tiller would kind of fight me so I didn't over compensate during the tack. Heading back in, it was hard to see over the dodger and I had to stand on the seats just to get some height. I have the same issue with my other boat but I don't have a dodger. It is usually the main sail that blocks my vision. Over all, I was impressed with the boat. However, I did not get a warm and fuzzy so I will pass on this boat. I hate to do that because it is in the marina I want to be in (my other boat is 52 miles south) and the slip location is perfect. But the ends do not justify the means. I will have to keep searching for something I feel a little more comfortable in.

L

lyn Y25

sea tale

Sorry, the Y33 wasn't your cup of tea. 5-8 knts is great for my Thistle (17' one design). Yamaha's are stout boats my Y25 prefers winds between 10-16kts. Your tiller experience was probably due to weather helm due to rig/sail balance. If you haven't found your dream boat and the winds are up take another ride in the 33 to see her in her element. You may reconsider. HAPPY HUNTING!!

E

Ed Serra

Y33 experience

I am sorry to hear that. I have had a Y25, and my second boat was a Y33 which I loved but had to sell for reasons of divorce. I am now looking again at boats, and found a Y33 in Shelter Island. Is this the one you sea trialed? Sometimes, I would have to back out of the slip to the channel on mine but it still tracked perfectly. Maybe the rudder was loose or riggin may be the reason. I sailed mine from 4 to 20Kts and through small jib to 180 genoa that came all the way back to the companionway. This last one gave me a run for the money, man...it pulled. Anyways, hope you find your boat. Regards, Ed

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
No Ed...

The boat I looked at was in Oceanside. Might still be available. It was a really nice boat, not just my style. If the owner wants to offer it to me for a lower price (secret) then I would really consider it. I just don't want to pay what he is asking for a boat that really does not fit my visual expectations. Purely an aesthetics thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.