Y33... Engine under V-berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Any idea why Yamaha put the engine so far forward in this boat? Was this maybe to help distribute the weight evenly for better performance? Interesting...

R

Richard

Engine forward

I have had two Yamahas - a 25 and a 33, both great boats. In the 25 it made great sense to open up the cabin and was a good use of space, but sometimes she would ship too much green water over the bow. I think there might not have been enough bouyancy forward for it. Additionally I think the length of the shaft made engine alignment tricky - not that that any amount of alignment would make that one-lunger YSM8 run smoothly. My Y33 had the engine moved to under the cockpit, aftermarket, I think. It was a very clean installation, but did not offer the engine access the 25 had. I wonder if the forward installation made the cockpit any less noisy? (maybe not the answer you were looking for...)

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks Richard...

I am looking at a Y33 right now. Well, Saturday I looked at the boat. This saturday (10/14) I will go on a sea trial with the boat. The seller is the original owner. I was just curious as to why the engine was put so far forward. We'll see if it is quiet while underway.

T

Tim

Aftermarket?

Well, also not probably what you're looking for, but...my 1982 Y33 has the engine aft (NOT an aftermarket, it's factory). On the older Y33s the engine was forward, but on the later models it was moved aft to the more 'normal' position. Why the change on later models? Easier to sell the boats, or was it a better location? How did the test sail go?

Feb 17, 2006
The test sail...

Will be this coming Saturday. I am sure it will go fine. Been a while since I sailed a boat with a tiller, but I learned on one so it should be easy. Really looking forward to sailing this boat. I just listed my Lancer 27 on Craig's List today. Two hours after listing, I got three emails. Have a showing on Sunday. Hopefully the Y33 owner will accept my offer and I can sell my other boat. That would be sweet.

B

Bob

Owners list

Greetings, Luke, I'd like to put an owner's registry on the website, but I don't know how to do it yet. It looked for a while that somebody was going to do that for an unrelated site, but the project never made it to completion, so for now, I'm dead in the water. I'm using FrontPage to edit the site, and the database that the host uses is MySQL. Any volunteers for generating a page that would display, sort, and modify a database? Regards, Bob

M

Monty Whitt

Yamaha Engine Placement

We have owned our 1979 Yamaha 33 for over ten years, it has been an excellant vessel. The only compaint that we have had with it's design is the design of it's windows. The location of the engine under the v-berth has never been an issue. However, about 3 years ago we replaced the orginal Yanmar YSM12 with a 20 h.p. Beta Marine three cylinder model. We are happy to report that the results are excellant. Slight change in fuel consumption (about 20%) weighed against better performance, quieter operation and fresh water cooling we feel that is an excellant trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.