Y30 rigging

Dec 20, 2020
Yamaha 30 tall rig Galiano Island
Good day
Recently purchased a y30 and enjoying checking and servicing all systems as I get to know her.
The question I have at this time concerns two pieces of wire rigging, about 4 feet long, attached just above the spreaders. They have rings about 1” dia. at the free end. The previous owner says they had line run through the rings and the line ran under the boom. Unfortunately he removed the line and can’t remember how it was rigged. He just left the wires dangling from the mast and the rings worked their way into the mainsail track. I’ve fixed that and would like to re-rig back to original. I’ve the manual for this boat but it doesn’t provide any information on this.
Any Yamaha owners out there that can share some intel?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Welcome to SBO :)

The attachments sounds like it’s the mast attachment part of a lazy jack system ????

Photos are helpful :)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sure sounds like part of a Lazy Jack system.
Here a picture of my boat with a MackPack with lazy jacks...hopefully gives you a little idea what it looks like... but

307DAE5C-57A3-4951-9CF9-E7A3650CA9DF.jpeg

you might also find some general info about lazy jacks on their website:

Cheers,

Greg

Dec 20, 2020
Welcome to SBO :)

The attachments sounds like it’s the mast attachment part of a lazy jack system ????

Photos are helpful :)
I believe you are right about being lazy jacks...thanks for the tip!

Dec 20, 2020
Sure sounds like part of a Lazy Jack system.
Here a picture of my boat with a MackPack with lazy jacks...hopefully gives you a little idea what it looks like... but

View attachment 188543

you might also find some general info about lazy jacks on their website:

Cheers,

Greg
Thanks very much! I will check this out and figure out how to rig it. Seems this system will be helpful for singlehanded sailing.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks very much! I will check this out and figure out how to rig it. Seems this system will be helpful for singlehanded sailing.
I added mine when I bought this boat, and tried to drop the main sail while singlehanded...sail all over the cockpit.

Decided on the integrated Mack Pack, but had lazy jacks and a traditional Dover on my first boat, and jacks were a great aid in getting the sail down and stowed.

Greg

Dec 20, 2020
I added mine when I bought this boat, and tried to drop the main sail while singlehanded...sail all over the cockpit.

Decided on the integrated Mack Pack, but had lazy jacks and a traditional Dover on my first boat, and jacks were a great aid in getting the sail down and stowed.

Greg
Thank you very much, Greg. Really like your O’day. Looks fast!

Satori

Sep 25, 2008
Yamaha Y-30 MkII Sidney BC
Samurai, you're on Galiano I see. I'm in Sidney. Where did you get the Yammie?

Dec 20, 2020
Samurai, you're on Galiano I see. I'm in Sidney. Where did you get the Yammie?
Yes, moored in montague harbour. Bought from a local fellow here.He bought a powerboat. It’s been mostly sitting for a couple years so I’m going through everything. So far I haven’t found any unpleasant surprises.

I want to replace the stern tube hose when on the hard this spring. Do you have any experience with that?

How long have you owned yours? Any words of wisdom to a fellow y30 enthusias?

Satori

Sep 25, 2008
Yamaha Y-30 MkII Sidney BC
Sorry Samurai, been off line for a while here.
I've had mine for .... 12 years? Maybe a couple of years longer?
Words of wisdom? Me? Not really, not that comes to mind at the moment. There are others on here with more experience. (Or better memory)
Some quick thoughts:
- installed a Dickinson propane furnace as I sail in the "off season". Love having the heat and the friendly little flame at night while reading and .... sipping.
- Replaced the canvas settee base with plywood which helps with comfort & storage
- Added some blocking on the saloon table for a bit more knee room while sitting on the settee's
- Have made up three removable "cross members" going across the saloon to connect the settees with hinged plywood over, double width air mattress & sleeping bags that allows for 2 people sleeping comfortably. (My wife is a sprawler so I end up jammed against the hull when using the V-berth or the Quarter berth.) A bit of a pain to assemble or store, but I can actually get some sleep when she's onboard.
- Oh, here's a good note. The steel keel. Great except, inevitably rusts. Taking it right down to bare metal, thoroughly cleaning/prepping and then using something like "Blue Steel" seems to keep it relatively under control. But sort of have to repeat that every once in a while. *Anybody else have this issue? Better solutions?

cheers