Y valve on my sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2009
2 26 Lake Champlain
I've bought an Grampian 26 who is equiped with a Y valve for the toilet. I have to take it out because I don't agrre to flush in the water first and second reason, I will navigate on Lake Champlain where it is forbidden. I was wondering if somebody knows if caps existed for that. I want to remove the flexiible pipe that start from the Y valve to the sea cock and sealed both the Y valve and the sea cock with a caps. I don't know where I can buy them and if it is available somewhere. If you have an another way to do it, i'll take the advice.

Thank you,

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Most boats have the Y-valve, and most of us don't use it because it is illegal within 3 nm of the U.S. coast, including all inland waters. So we usually put a wire tie on the y-valve to keep it in the position to move toilet waste into the holding tank. In fact, if you are ever stopped and inspected by the coast guard, they will want to see the wire tie. Also, of course, keep the seacock closed. There is no need to remove the works if you do the above.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Paul is right. Divert the valve to your holding tank, wire the handle in that position and also apply duct tape over the wire and the US Coast Guard will accept that if over board discharge is illegal where you sail.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's a bit different on Lake Champlain

There it's illegal for locally owned boats to have ANY sanitation plumbing connected to an overboard thru-hull. So if he plans to keep the boat on Champlain, he has no choice but to remove the y-valve and re-plumb the toilet directly to the tank.

I would not recommend leaving the y-valve in place. That MAY not pass inspection, but the main reason is because the y-valve will seize if it's not used and can also leak.

I don't know of any thru-hull caps. The simplest solution for this season is a bung in the thru-hull. When the boat comes out in the fall, you can have the thru-hull and seacock removed and the hole glassed over.

Aug 20, 2009
Catalina C30 Oakville
I don't know of any thru-hull caps. The simplest solution for this season is a bung in the thru-hull. When the boat comes out in the fall, you can have the thru-hull and seacock removed and the hole glassed over.
My one suggestion here is.. since the thru-hull is there.. see if there is anything else you might want to use it for? Lake Champlain have issue with Grey water? or just Black? Could he use that thru-hull for a sink? making sure your valve is in good shape like any other you would have you could just keep it closed.. as as someone said.. wire it each season just so no one does anything stupid with it.. IF your not up for a plug and reglass.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.