Y-33 Running Rigging

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
Hello, Yamaha owners, it's me again! While I'm still deciding whether to take the boat or not, I am still researching everything available about this boat.

When I was at the boat again yesterday I confirmed that the boat is still using wires and ropes combination for halyards and topping lift, albeit in a terrible state after being left unattended for six plus years... The whole running rigging (together with the standing rigging) would definitely need an overhaul.

Has anyone change their lines to rope only and what other modifications need to be made for such a set up?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In 2016 I overhauled my mast and all rigging.
Rigging had external line/wire halyards. I changed to rope halyards. Requires modifying the sheaves that are located in the mast head. Your current sheaves have 2 sets of shoulders a narrow set in the middle to hold the wire and the upper that supports the rope.
The attached image gives you sort of the idea. This image is a variable pitch. Your rope section rides near the outer rim while the wire rides deeper in the groove. On my sheaves there were just two grooves. An inner for the wire and an outer for the rope.

1662120753066.jpeg

While this works, it is not ideal for smooth fast operation of the halyard. With new rope materials having low stretch properties, I prefer an all rope halyards using a single U shaped groove sized to match the halyard diameter.

You maybe able to salvage and repurpose some of the ropes you have imaged. Not sure what is going on at the mast/spreader.

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
Been there, done that. One of the first items on my list when first acquiring my vessel was to change the decrepit wire/rope halyards to rope only. On mine (and many other boats - I suppose from a similar era) there are sheaves (pulley wheels) that accomodate both rope and wire and are designed with a smaller groove for the wire diameter, at the base of the larger hollow (for the rope diameter). Check what you have. Hopefully you have the same and it's no problem to go full rope. The key is to use a low stretch line for halyards. I used Sampson XLS and have been very happy with the service they have provided, now on their 5th season. Your pictures show some lines that might clean up pretty good and may have some serviceable life in them for other uses (reefing, downhauls, outhauls, docking, etc...). Check the forum for info on using messanger lines (for running new halyards) and how to clean ropes.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I went to all rope when I replaced the rigging in 2019. New sheaves at the masthead were required. A local machinist made new ones out of Delrin.

I don't recall if you asked, but the chainplates should be pulled and checked for crevice corrosion when you re-rig. See the example from Tosca below. Tosca has the tall rig so yours will look different, but chainplate leaks are common.
20191030_203228.jpg

Nov 21, 2012
Another item to note is that the rigger (Brion Toss) told me that the sockets for the upper terminals of the shrouds do not match any ends available today. I don't recall if he modified the sockets or the terminals. I will see Ian (who took over on Brion's passing) and crew at the Wooden Boat Festival next week, and I will try to remember to ask.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Be aware of halyard stretch with all rope halyards. I purchased a new all rope halyard here a few years ago. Shortly after hauling up the main sail the line stretches and the sail sags leaving a large wrinkle in the bottom foot or so of the sail. If I retighten the halyard it seems to stay. I have no idea what material the halyard was made out of.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Be aware of halyard stretch with all rope halyards.
You are correct Roy. In days gone by we had Hemp and manila ropes... They would stretch, absorb water, get slathered with tar/oil, harden and smell like the sea.

Modern science and fossil fuels have given us nylon, dacron (polyester), dyneema, all varieties of ropes and lines that we can use on our boats to address the types of service needs we desire to solve.

Each of the jobs we challenge our running rigging to address have differing requirements. Matching the tool to the task is both science and art. A good rigger can provide a wealth of ideas to help an owner new to seamanship.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
Thanks all for your input!

Next question would be which size of rope for where?

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
in the manual it states the jib sheet needs to be 15mm, is this an overkill?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Part of the consideration is also the feel of the line. A thinner line might be strong enough to handle the loads, especially with modern materials. But when you go to pull a very thin sheet by hand you’ll wish you had something a little more substantial.

Nov 21, 2012
I think my jib sheets are 1/2" (12-13 mm), but they could be 9/16" (14-15 mm). I'll confirm later this week.