XM Digital Satellite Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

I am about to install XM Radio on my Beneteau Oceanis 390. I am going to connect a new Pioneer Digital Tuner to my existing Pioneer DVD/CD/MP3 player. Has anyone out there had any experience with XM Radio on their boat, installing it and possibly also getting marine weather from XM?

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Interesting

Peter, I don't know of anybody that has done what you are planning. It sounds like an interesting idea. When you finish how about writng something on it so we know how it works. Take care Charlie

R

Randall

XM Radio

I use a Delphi "Roady" XM reciever and love it. I've had good luck with the "home" style antenna sitting on the chart table. Gets excellent reception. It's larger than the one used for car installation, but still only about 3"X3", and designed to work indoors. Of course, they make special ones for boats, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. I use the FM transmit feature to get the signal to the stereo on the boat, but at home I directly connect it to a stereo system using RCA style wires. As long as your Pioneer tuner has an "out" plug and your player has "input" plugs, there's a wire that will fit it. Don't know much about the marine weather feature, but it does sound interesting. I hear they are also talking about beaming down movies at some point.

Apr 26, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 390 Tsehum Harbour, BC, Canada
XM Radio

My stereo nerd friend has ordered a Pioneer GEX - P910XM digital tuner, SIR5 Marine Antenna and a XM - SP single to dual tuner adaptor. You can see the profile of the tuner at www. pioneerelectronics.com. The prices are quite reasonable for good music. Once I get them installed on board Tula in a few weeks Charlie I would be pleased to do a report on installation and sound effect. Apparently each tuner comes with it's own unique ID number that you give to XM over the net or to a human being on their toll-free number. They then tell their satellite the ID number and somehow it all works. Whether I have to drill holes in Tula to install the marine antennae on my radar arch or stick the little antennae to the portlight above Tula's chart table to get a good fix on the satellite remains to be seen. I will keep you all posted.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

That would be great

The more people we have writing in about the changes and upgrades they have made on their boats the more interesting this forum becomes, and we all learn even more about our boats. Thanks Peter Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.