Worn Rudder Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.K. Wallace

Does any one have a fix for a worn lower rudder bearing. Both bearing and shaft are bronze alloy and wear is in both components.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
This is taken from the Grampian Owners site.

Question? Where would I get bearings for my rudder shaft for my G26 and how do I get the old ones out? Suggestions: There were two designs used at different times in production. I seem to recall that one was plastic bushings pressed into the rudder tube in the hull. In this case you can knock out the old bushings, measure them and the rudder shaft with a micrometer and check with a bearing distributor (I've had good luck with Canadian Bearings) to see if they can source an off-the-shelf replacement.If not, you need to find a machine shop that will machine replacement bushings for you. The other design had "gun metal" bushings soldered into the ends of the rudder tube, which was a piece of copper pipe. This is what our boat has. The bad news is that to un-solder the bushings, you need to heat the pipe, and that will destroy the fiberglass that holds it in place.One option is to remove the old bushings by machining them out, for instance, with a file or die grinder and burr and a lot of patience, then press or glue in plastic bushings. Another option is to use an epoxy repair putty like JB Weld or Devcon putty to build up the inside diameter of the existing bushings, but you then have to come up with a way to bore the bushings to the right diameter for the rudder shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.