Working on the tow eye, looking at Catalina parts

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
So, I've dug out the rotted wood and will be glassing in a large reinforcement pad in the bow. Planning on overkill; half inch thick build up of 24oz roving because why not. Skipping the wood and using thick glass with a 316ss backing plate, no more rot. While I'm at it, I had some ideas:
-A stainless scuff guard would be great to have on the bow.
-I really do not like how the forestay chain plate is "tied" to the starboard hull only.

I couldn't find anything off the shelf for the Mac 25, but Catalina's have what I want.... anyone tried this stuff or something similar?
Forestay anchoring kit, I think I can use this:

Bow eye rebuild kit with scuff guard, I just want the stainless plate but it's not drilled 2.5" on centers. Does anyone make this for a Mac?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The extra rove in the bow should work. I've also seen people glass in a SS pipe with holes drilled through it for the bow eye.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I saw that too, and woul like to have one without the notch since I have everything apart. I may just get some 316 plate, I'm not terrible at forming and polishing.
I saw one without the notch made by the same company

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
I saw one without the notch made by the same company
I just poked around their website and saw that it's only 22ga and it's 304 stainless. Thin metal that's not suitable for sea water, gotta pass. Even if I don't get to drag my boat to the Atlantic, I'd like someone to be able to. lol

Looks like I'm ordering some 316 plate.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD