Wooden spreaders on a 1984 30???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim C

Jun 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Tulsa, OK
MK1's were built until 1986

I would have thought Catalina had gone to aluminum but '84 also. You can get an upgrade kit from CatalinaDirect for just over $300 which is supposed to use the existing holes if that helps any. The Catalina 30 association page has some good information about the history, etc. if you haven't already checked it out also. Good luck, Jim C

B

Bill

Wooden spreaders

I own a 1984 C-30 TR. I purchased the boat 5 years ago and it had the original wooden spreaders. They were in fairly good shape - I went up the mast and added varnish every year. Last year, I decided to put on a set of the aluminum speaders while I had the mast down for some other work. The installation went quite well except for the compression post between the speaders. The aluminum tube will probably be completely frozen in place. I enlarged the holes so that I could remove the old post and then put a larger aluminum post in place. The bolts for the new spreaders will not fit through the old post (at least mine didn't.) I am very happy with the new spreaders - they are a little more aerodynamic than the old ones and are lighter - and ther is no problem with rot! Before I did the work, I had heard that people have done the job without taking the mast down, but I would have found that difficult. Also, if the mast has not been unstepped for a long time, this might be a good chance to rewire the mast and do other maintenance. While mine was down, I added a spinnaker crane, an exit point for the spinnaker halyard and a few other little items. Bill

hfxns

Jan 24, 2006
Beneteau 323 Chester Basin, NS
Re. Wood Spreaders

I have an 1984 Catalina 30 Tall Rig - but I have never checked to see if the spreaders were aluminum or wood. I will check it out as soon as I can and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.