Wooden blocks and Glass under starboard setee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
I am rebuilding a 299 from scratch and found something that I can,t figure out. Looking in the hatch on the bottom of the starboard setee, just forward and near the shower pan is a block of fiberglass or epoxy thats rough looking. Just above that are 2 blocks of wood sticking out of the hull, about 4inch by 4 inch. What is that and what should it do when I replace it?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
John, First off I presume that you are

going back to a bare hull. If the boat is old there will be all manner of crazy things in there that make no sense. Generally they reflect attempts by idiots working without skill or knowledge. If you can't determine a valid reason for something don't hesitate to remove it. especially something of this nature. You can see the workmanship of the builder. after a while you will also recognize the work of unskilled owners. I rebuilt a 21 year old Islander that had not been treated well by her owners. In horse terms , She had been rode hard and put away wey too many times. You have the opportunity to make this your boat don't leave the traces our someone elses poor efforts if you can improve upon them.

Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
I think you are describing the ...

support base for the compression post. It is part of the bulkhead for the bathroom.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Could it be support for the shower pan and setee?

These blocks and fiberglass ledge are more under the starboard setee but the fiberglass ledge could be for the edge of the shower pan that is underneath the wooden storage area that is between the setee and the foward v-berth. The wooden blocks are coming out of the hull just above this ledge. ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.