Wood light/wiring mounts

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
Appreciate everyone's patience as I work to restore my new '84. Todays question reference wood mounts on my mast running light and mast electrical plug (See pics). Is this standard or an improvised fix?

Thanks again.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The wood mounts are definitely DIY. It was probably a pretty solid setup when it was new.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you're handy and have access to woodworking tools, you could make the same design of mount from Starboard.

PS. Welcome to the site.

Jan 28, 2023
Thanks. I’m not that handy so I’ll probably recovert to factory settings.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have seen the teak blocks on the older original masts. If replacing I would go with the standard Deck / Steming Led light form amazon like @Project_Mayhem suggested.

On a side note is that mast original to the boat? It looks like its round and not Oval for the new design and I believe based on the year of your boot tours came with the oval mast.

Oh and the deck connector is mostly standard however there are better options out there. You'll just need to know if you have a 3 pin of 4 pin connector.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Replace the connector on the mast and deck to prevent further core rot. I also believe I've seen a wood block on a C22's steaming light. When I replaced mine, the new light had a flat back. The 3/8" overhang on the round mast has not caused any issues

Jan 28, 2023
Thanks for your insights. The mast is oval and I’m pretty sure original. Looking at Catalina Direct replacements, they refer to original wood mounts and sell an aluminum mount replacement. Good catch on the wire block, didn’t think about the core - will definitely replace. My plug is a 2-wire (no anchor light).

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I hope you go a different direction that your predecessor, because that is one ugly piece of hardware. Why is it so huge? Take a look at the west marine and defender catalogues to see how many choices and styles there are. I like the mast/foredeck combo. If you spend a little more for an LED equipped unit you won''t be sorry.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@tailboom here is what I used. The deck light is a decent fit but not tight to the oval mast and it was only like 40 when I bought it a couple years back.

Deck light : Amazon.com

Electrical Connector: https://www.amazon.com/White-Water-Electrical-Connector-8208BC/dp/B06XCV24LQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TX0SL2BFZNJH&keywords=White+Water+Electrical+Connector+(8210BC+-+5+Amp,+4+Pin)&qid=1703265420&sprefix=white+water+electrical+connector+8210bc+-+5+amp,+4+pin+,aps,111&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

They both have worked pretty well. we trailer so ,my plug generally has the cap on it. Now after 4 years the little cap is cracked but the connector still works well. I bought the 4 pin as I have the mast light as well.

Edit: the 5 amp plug has a larger base plate as well which I liked.

Jan 28, 2023
@tailboom here is what I used. The deck light is a decent fit but not tight to the oval mast and it was only like 40 when I bought it a couple years back.

Deck light : Amazon.com

Electrical Connector: https://www.amazon.com/White-Water-Electrical-Connector-8208BC/dp/B06XCV24LQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TX0SL2BFZNJH&keywords=White+Water+Electrical+Connector+(8210BC+-+5+Amp,+4+Pin)&qid=1703265420&sprefix=white+water+electrical+connector+8210bc+-+5+amp,+4+pin+,aps,111&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

They both have worked pretty well. we trailer so ,my plug generally has the cap on it. Now after 4 years the little cap is cracked but the connector still works well. I bought the 4 pin as I have the mast light as well.

Edit: the 5 amp plug has a larger base plate as well which I liked.
thanks for the link. Looks just like mine.

Jan 28, 2023
I hope you go a different direction that your predecessor, because that is one ugly piece of hardware. Why is it so huge? Take a look at the west marine and defender catalogues to see how many choices and styles there are. I like the mast/foredeck combo. If you spend a little more for an LED equipped unit you won''t be sorry.
Appreciate the suggestion, I’ll look.