wood finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2012
Catalina 30 Ventura
My new-to-me 1985 Catalina 30 has 2 finishes: the exterior is a yellow tinge, like oak; the interior has a reddish tone like rosewood. Any guidance on how to refinish the exterior? The varnish needs redoing and I don't know if I should use a teak or oak varnish.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
My hatch boards are light colored/yellowish on the outside and darker reddish on the inside. But that's because the sun has naturally lightened the outside exposed wood over time. Is that possibly what you are referring to?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The inside and outside teak on Catalinas of your vintage (mine's an '86) were and are different. Topside is plain teak. No one knows what the POs of your boat did with the wood. Could be plain teak, could be varnish, could be cetol. If it's plain wood with no finish, just use teak cleaner then brightener. Then decide what you want to do with it. If there's a "cover" on it, you'll have to do some research to figure out what it is - ask the PO. If he's not available, ask someone on your dock who knows if they can ID whether it's varnish or cetol.

Down below is simpler. Catalina stained the teak. If it's flat (and not varnished over) then teak oil or lemon oil is just fine to keep it looking like new. I used teak oil, others swear by their own other choices. Others like to varnish down below, too, but I hte shiny down below, and figure there's enough work to do on the handrails that more varnish down below is too much work for me. :)

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Our regimen:

Exterior: Cetol Natural Teak for base, coat with Cetol Gloss for annual maintenance

Interior: Non-gloss, "red" (some kind of 1984-vintage factory stain) natural teak. We just hand rub orange oil into the grain. This brand contains no silicones and says it's safe for oiled woods like teak:
http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-orange-oil-lemon.php

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.