wood blistering

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles Frick

I bought a Beneteau 331 a year ago last November. Sailed it from Charleston to BAhamas then Boca Raton. In Sept./Oct. of 2004 while sitting in the salon, the sun was beaming in thru the hatch illuminating the main bulkhead seperating the salon from the v-berth area. What appeared to be "pimples" the size of a large pinhead covered the complete bulkhead averaging 5 to 10 "pimples" per sq. inch. A stem to stern examination revealed that practically all the wood surfaces were affected exactly like the main bulkhead. I phoned the dealer, St. Barts Yachts, and the owner assured me that it would be covered as a warranty problem. Apparently, other boats are affected with the same blistering problem. According to St. Barts Yachts, they have three boats with the problem from their dealership alone. Question: Has anyone had the same problem with their Beneteau? Has it been resolved? Has the work done brought the surfaces back to "showroom", "like-new condiltion"? MY concern is that the AMOUNT of sanding, stripping, filling, caluking and re-varnishing that will be required is so overwhelmingly large, as to be impossible to restore the showroom appearance. Someone please advise. Charles Frick, Boca Raton

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Blistering

Charles, I have not heard of he problem but without seeing it, it sounds like a problem with the stain or the finish. I would think that is it going to be a major job to bring it all back. Everything is going to have to be sanded and refinished. How much is going to depend on if the problem is in the varnish or the stain. The cabinet anmd locker doors can be removed and refinished fairly easily the bulkheads and settees are another issue. A number of years ago I refinished the woodwork in a Catalina 27 I owned and it was a major project. I am curious as to what Beneteau has said regarding this. Good luck Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.