Wondering when I am ever going to get to sail this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
The continuing saga of our desire to sail at Red Rocks Lake close to Pella, Ia.

After our accident, we did get the boat down to the hard storage at the lake. We finally went back last Friday to spend the weekend and sail. When we got there the boat was already out of the storage lot and ready to be Valet launched for us by the Marina personnel. They helped us slip her in the water and the motor started on the first pull.

We motored over to our slip and tied her up. We still had to raised the Mast and get the rigging run. We tied up around noon and the temp them was 93 and humidity was 89% we were dripping.

Unlike Minn. where my friend Dave of this forum told me that the temp has moderated and is back to comfortable. Here, it is still beastly HOT. Finally we had the Mast up and all secure by 8:00 PM and decided to put the sails on and run the lines the next morning. There was not a breath of wind. Spent the night on the boat and only because of two fans running full blast did we survive in our fiberglass box.

Had all the sails on and ready to go by 11:00 AM the next morning. We decided to go and get lunch and go out in the afternoon.

We got back to the boat, decided to check the motor and see that water was being pumped through the cooling system. NO WATER coming out.:confused: Went down the ladder to see if I could feel the water being sucked in. No suction of water. :cussing:

My wife was really miffed.:eek: She has been dieing to go out. Here it was the end of July and all we have done is spend one night with the sails up since Memorial Day Weekend.

Nothing to be done but to have the boat pulled out and load the motor into the car and take it home to my mechanic.

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever sail this year.

Just venting. Pay me no mind.

Cheers,

Tom...:D

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Re: Wondering when I am ever going to get to sail this year.

Sorry to hear that, Tom.. I am surprised that there was no one at the marina who could work it..?? It is a pretty easy/quick job with the boat on the trailer and the motor lowered on the bracket..
Better luck next opportunity!

Dec 25, 2009

The Marina rates were prohibitive. $80 per hr, if they had a Mech and they did not have one that was available on a Saturday. I have noticed that Marina's at least in my experience seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude and this one is no exception. They are mired in Bankruptcy and operate with just a skeleton crew, a fuel dock hand and a tractor operator to launch and recover stored boats. Both guys are great, just not mechanics.

My Mechanic at home had it fixed for $20 and parts.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Tom sorry to hear all of the troubles you guys have had.

I was wondering why you are raising the mast on the water? We can, but haven't as it seems less stressful doing it on the trailer and if we drop something it isn't lost.

We have taken it down once...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/Powell-2009-index.html

... on the water when we were on Lake Powell and the friend that was bringing our Suburban and trailer couldn't get to us until after dark and there were no lights at the ramp.

Good luck and hang in there,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine

Tom,

Same here. I had the trailer back in the water to pull the boat back out when the ranger told us to blow out the water expulsion tube at the top of the motor. Sometimes bugs will nest in them. So, I pulled it off, soaked it in water an blew it out. That was 6 or 8 sails ago. Ranger Carl has been a real friend at the ramp for us newbies.

Dec 25, 2009

I guess the biggest reason is that I don't like being 8' in the air over a hard packed parking lot. Would much prefer to be able to stand on at least one dock side and only get wet if I fall off the other. I have done it both ways. The first time I did it by myself was over Memorial day and the ramp area would not work to raise it as there is a cable strung across both lanes out at the end of the courtesy docks, why I don't know, obviously they could care less about sailors. So I have learned to do it on the water.

I am sure, we will get going here soon. I also would like to wait now for the temp to moderate. 107 heat index today.

I hope it is more moderate there on Lake Powell for you, Sum....

Have a good evening...

Tom...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.........The first time I did it by myself was over Memorial day and the ramp area would not work to raise it as there is a cable strung across both lanes out at the end of the courtesy docks, why I don't know, obviously they could care less about sailors...Tom...
That explains a lot :).

We haven't been on Lake Powell for almost 2 years. Florida got in the way and now also the new boat down there. We had hoped to return down there this fall, but Ruth had a foot operated on the other day and it turned out to be a lot more complicated than we thought it would be with pins and other devices being used on it. She is fine, but we have put off going back to Florida until right after the first of the year. Hopefully back out to Lake Powell maybe the fall of 2012. It is only 90 miles out there, but we don't like to go on the water unless we can plan for at least a couple weeks.

We do have a couple lakes within 5-10 minutes, but they are too small for the Mac. We have considered trying to find something like a Venture 17 to use on these lakes so we could go out more often and just for the day, but have too many other projects going on right now.

Hope the heat stops and you are able to get out soon,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Tom Hoffman said:
The continuing saga of our desire to sail at Red Rocks Lake close to Pella, Ia.

After our accident, we did get the boat down to the hard storage at the lake. We finally went back last Friday to spend the weekend and sail. When we got there the boat was already out of the storage lot and ready to be Valet launched for us by the Marina personnel. They helped us slip her in the water and the motor started on the first pull.

We motored over to our slip and tied her up. We still had to raised the Mast and get the rigging run. We tied up around noon and the temp them was 93 and humidity was 89% we were dripping.

Unlike Minn. where my friend Dave of this forum told me that the temp has moderated and is back to comfortable. Here, it is still beastly HOT. Finally we had the Mast up and all secure by 8:00 PM and decided to put the sails on and run the lines the next morning. There was not a breath of wind. Spent the night on the boat and only because of two fans running full blast did we survive in our fiberglass box.

Had all the sails on and ready to go by 11:00 AM the next morning. We decided to go and get lunch and go out in the afternoon.

We got back to the boat, decided to check the motor and see that water was being pumped through the cooling system. NO WATER coming out.:confused: Went down the ladder to see if I could feel the water being sucked in. No suction of water. :cussing:

My wife was really miffed.:eek: She has been dieing to go out. Here it was the end of July and all we have done is spend one night with the sails up since Memorial Day Weekend.

Nothing to be done but to have the boat pulled out and load the motor into the car and take it home to my mechanic.

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever sail this year.

Just venting. Pay me no mind.

Cheers,

Tom...:D
This is why I sold the oversized 9.9 hp outboard that came with our H23 and bought a big trolling motor today. And I have enough cash left over for 2 new batteries and a solar panel.

Apr 4, 2011
Oday 222 Centerville, Iowa

Hey Tom
It's unusual to hear from someone nearby. Sorry to hear about your "misadventures" at Red Rock Lake. I hope you are now in the water and enjoying the lake. I live in Chariton, just bought a 1986 ODay 222 that I've spent 2 1/2 months part time cleaning up, repairing and polishing. I'm finally ready to splash her next week. My first "misadventure" will probably be Rathbun, but ya know, the warter is blue at Red Rocks and brown at Rathbun. So, I'm really interested in sailing Red Rocks.
The boat store and maintenance shop is run by a new company that has a store in the next town north of Knoxville, while I understand that the Corps is running the marina. This is followng the BK of the previous company. This is what I was told. Yes, the guys at the marina store could be a lot more caring and interested in boating !!
I'd like to sail on Red Rocks Lake, are there any areas that I should be concerned about like flooded trees, other underwater obstacles ?? Obviously I won't be crossing under the bridge on Hwy 14.
Maybe I'll see ya there one of these days, my boat is "Sex Sea" and I have to trailer her everywhere. Happy sailing.

Apr 4, 2011
Oday 222 Centerville, Iowa

Hi Fly,
What size trolling motor did you buy, and I imagine it is 24 volt. I looked at them before I bought my Honda 4 stroke 5 hp, and the salesman talked me out of them, saying I wouldn't have enough power in a good wind to be able to control the boat. I've got an Oday 222,and I'd love to have a light weight electric motor. What size batteries are you using ?? Thanks.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
bear62041 said:
Hi Fly,
What size trolling motor did you buy, and I imagine it is 24 volt. I looked at them before I bought my Honda 4 stroke 5 hp, and the salesman talked me out of them, saying I wouldn't have enough power in a good wind to be able to control the boat. I've got an Oday 222,and I'd love to have a light weight electric motor. What size batteries are you using ?? Thanks.
I bought a 50 lbs thrust Minn Kota 12 volt with a power prop. Weighs about 30 pounds and it would equal maybe a 2hp gas motor. The pluses are it's simple and reliable. I'm using two 12 volt group 24 deep cycle walmart batteries and two 15 watt solar panels from Harbor Frieght. I'll take some photos of the solar panels next weekend.

Since I only motor in and out of a freshwater lake marina, it was an easy choice and about half of what a new gas motor cost. This works for me but it's not right for everywhere.

Dec 25, 2009

Finally got out this past Saturday evening. Winds were 15 with gusts to 25. Our little heavy boat acquitted herself admirably. We have new line rigging, all lines come back to the cock pit with deck organizers and cabin top clutches and winches. All this is new this year. It took a short while to figure out how to get the sail up and the jib set. We made a few mistakes as we had forgotten some of it since last year. We heeled over a very modest amount, some of the bigger boats that had a lot more sail area were heeling a lot.

The waves were up to 3-4' and my wife was a little apprehensive. We finally got our direction good so we were not slapping down every crest. Then she settled in and ran very nicely.

Out tacks were a little rough, but that is not new. They were rough last year as well. At least in the higher wind and higher speed, we didn't miss any.

The next morning Sunday, winds were light and we missed several tacks because the speed wasn't there. So we learned how to Jibe. Several times. We had fun. We learned. My wife is developing into a good sailor too. She loves to take the helm and run things.

Cheers,

Tom...

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA

Hey Tom,
Next time your in Lake Red Rock give me a call. I would love to see how the boat turned out. Just read some of the posts. Lake red rock is full of tree trucks, fence posts and submerged rocks when it is low. Just saw a sailboat sailing under the mile long bridge last week. I got hung up on a submerged rock this afternoon. Curious as to the mention of blue water in lake Red Rock by bear 62041? It is usually clear in the spring and murky the rest of the time. I still call it home. If either of you are in the area, let me know. Mark Klein 515 681-1759.

Dec 25, 2009

Hey Mark, I tried to email you in prep for going down to Red Rock, you must have not gotten it. We were down this saturday. Had motor problems again. The young guys working at the Marina are super. We pulled the motor and went home yesterday after having an hour of frustration trying to get it started.

I will call you next time we are anticipating going down there. Probably be in a couple of weeks.

Tom...

Status
Not open for further replies.