with motor on back....

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom

do most people trailor their boats with the outboard still hanging off the stern while running down the highway, if so, does one need a red flag tied to it..

C

Carl

Motor

Tom, I think you will find people have differant ideas about this subject.I have an 8hp two stroke Merc, which I leave on the bracket while trailering.I just bungee the lower end to the trailer to prevent bouncing.Other people will remove the motor and carry it in various locations such as the back of the truck or even the vee berth in the boat.I have also heard of people mounting the motor on the front of the trailer. Carl & Suzi h240 Relentless

G

Gerry

Made a mount up front.

Hey Tom, I had a Catalina 22 that had a rear outboard. The problem with leaving it hanging on your transom while going down the highway is that there is not the support for it on the transom to prevent the fiberglass from flexing from the weight of the engine bouncing. Most transoms are designed to support the engine in the water where the shock is not as severe as hitting a pothole on the highway. What I did on my Catalina is made a motor mount on the tongue of the trailer where the winch post is using a old motor mount. This way there is no flexing of the transom and it adds some tongue weight as I have found that most trailerable sailboats are quite stern heavy on the trailer. I do have pictures on how I did this, if you send me your e-mail address I will send you some pictures. My address is moonrise195@aol.com.

S

steve c

motor

i have a C22 with a 9.9 merk on my old boat it had a small 2.5 merk and that motor i took off and stored in the boat however the 9.9 is 78lb i can not lift it off the ajustable mount on my new boat so finely after much pain and anguish and all my friends convinced to leave it on the boat i had one of my friends folow me home with a viedo camera to folow the boat and motor not a single problem not one motor never moved !!!! all i do is put a tye down strap from the motor handle up around the transom rail shinch it up and go and my friends are much happyer

D

Dave

I take mine off

I may be a bit risk averse, but I wouldn't trailer mine on the adjustable motor mount. I change the motor mount to a stronger Gaelick model on my O'Day 222, and even beefed up the backing substantially. However, I am afraid of stressing the transom while driving. I actually support mine in the forward section of the cockpit and then get some help lifting it on and off the bracket. I think the the mounting bracket on the tongue of the trailer is a good idea, and would like to see some pictures. Just my two cents worth. Best regards, Dave

M

Malcolm Palmer

Depends on the Boat

Tom, we have a Mac 26X with a 200# 50 HP Honda on the back. We never take our outboard off for trailering and I've never heard of another 26X owner doing so. But, the boat is built to take the extra load. Never heard of any powerboat operators putting a red flag on the back of their motors either. On the other hand, MacGregor supplies a detachable brake light for the back of the boat, but very few people use it.

B

Bob

Red flags

are often required when something extends past the main structure of the vehicle - usually 3 feet (or more) is the determining value. On a sailboat, often the mast extends farther than anything else. Keep in mind that the idea is to keep anyone behind you from punching out his radiator or windshield. Put yourself in his place - would you like a warning that part of the vehicle/trailer/boat in front of you extends quite a bit farther back than you thought?

R

Ralf Hallmann

Depends on the boat

Well I don't think anybody was talking about the 26 above classic with there 50HP motors. Come on common sense. Hihihihi Ralf

Status
Not open for further replies.