Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davd Miller

I have a 2001 Hunter 260 and am preparing to wire some electronics to the wall ouside of the head on the port side of the boat. Is there a easy or best way to snake the wires from the fuse/switch panel?

B

Bernie

Not easy

David, I flush mounted my vhf radio high on the teak wall to the left of the head door. I ran the coax from the antenna on the mast and power from the panel into the overhead of the head and came out in that area above the portapottie that is molded for a vertically mounted compass to be mounted to the left side of the companionway opening. I drilled a 1 1/2 " hole in that area and installed a round beige plastic insert and cap that Home Depot sells to allow wires to look neat as they pass through furniture. In order to get power from the DC panel to the ceiling in the head, I dropped the ceiling lights above the galley, above the table, and the one in the head. I also removed the blank cover above the galley, and those blanks where the forward stanchions are bolted. Using two metal "snakes", I fished the wire from the panel to the starboard stanchion, then across the overhead to the port stanchion, and from there back to the overhead in the head. No this was not easy, but I couldn'see any better way. The coax from the mast was similarly snaked, but from the bottom of the mast to the overhead of the head. It took about three hours to complete everything. If you just need some power in that area, you do have the option to simply tap into the cabin light circuit in the head. Since I had to run the caox anyway and was already having to run power to the mast for a windex light and spreader light, I ran a separate power line. I hope this information is useful. Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.