Wiring schematic

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I have an 11A and would like to find a schematic particuler to the boat. Appreciate the assist. Hal

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Someone here might have one, but be advised that boats of that age have likely seen multiple previous owners, each with their own ideas on how to change the layout. Some boats don’t even come out of the factory matching their wiring diagrams perfectly. So the original schematic may or may not be close to reality. You’ll probably have some detective work with a multimeter to figure out your configuration.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As @Davidasailor26 said, you might find someone who has a basic schematic, but aware that undoubtedly,it has been changed and bastardized by a PO.

i was working on my DC wiring yesterday. For some reason a PO wired the refrigerator with a 12-volt cig lighter outlet in the V berth and 2 other outlets were wired in with the AP…

So, I was abLe to install a new breaker, move the 3 outlets to their own breaker and separate my AP and refrigerator circuits.

The point is, I don’t think the boat had those cig lighter outlets when new, so they would not have been on the electrical plan at all. In fact, I just checked it and no refrigeration listed either…

AEDF8FC1-C39D-426E-BC6C-0BD4995A84BC.png

Good luck…

Greg

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hal,
Let's hope you're moving towards engaging your "Dream - to sail the Salish Sea".

As explained, electrical systems change. Not all changes are recorded. I know it is sad, but it is the world of owners wanting to do things to their boat.

It is not all lost. You the now owner have the joyful opportunity to be one with your electrical system. Take a weekend and plot out the wiring system. I assure you, you will be more knowledgable and prepared to resolve issues that occur.

What triggers this desire to know which wires go where? Is something not working?

Here is a tease link to help keep that Salish Sea dream alive.
1653140162793.png

1653140188321.png

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Electricity has always scared me, my wife has to change lightbulbs. I know basically how it works but my biggest fear is that i will wire something incorrectly and I'll have a viking pariah. In the engine space there is an exhaust fan that doesn't work and that bothers me even though I have diesel. There is a trickle charger that is 120v running off shore power that i would like to hook up so it charges both batteries. There is a hot water heater that is not wired in though there is a breaker. I keep thinking that I should buy a meter and try to learn how to use it. I don't know what a ohm does but it must be important because that's all i see in electric books.
Yes, I need a source for assistance. Thanks, Hal

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Respect, not fear. That's the approach to take. Charlie Wing has an excellent book, as does Nigel Calder. Maine Sail has a whole web site (marinehowto.com) devoted to marine electrical. There's where I started my education. @Stu Jackson is also an excellent resource here on this site. Check out his electrical 101 post. It's a lot at first, but if you keep at it you will be rewarded with new skill and useful knowledge.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Such things as electricity are not for everyone. When it is not your thing, hire a marine electrician. With a 36 ft boat in the delta someone in the area must be a competent marine electrician that has helped other boaters solve their questions. All of the things that “bother you” are solvable and should be addressed.

Think of them as bank fees that one bank has decided to up charge. I believe the Financial CEO would have a account exec get on it and resolve it before the end of the week.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
@Stu Jackson is also an excellent resource here on this site. Check out his electrical 101 post. It's a lot at first, but if you keep at it you will be rewarded with new skill and useful knowledge.
Thanks, Mike.

Here's the link to ES101
Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Let me just add this to the mix; there is a wiring diagram that is what most people want to see and try to figure out things

"What is the difference between schematic and wiring diagram?
A schematic shows the plan and function for an electrical circuit, but is not concerned with the physical layout of the wires. Wiring diagrams show how the wires are connected and where they should located in the actual device, as well as the physical connections between all the components."

I've been around high voltage electricity all my HVAC career working on systems up to 480 volts and 12 volt systems are still sometimes a mystery to me!

This has helped me immensely when working on my own boat and helping a few other people
ABYC-Cable-Wire-Color-Codes-for-Yacht-Boat-Marine-Wiring.png