Wiring new LED lights in salon/saloon headliner

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
So, I have embarked on another project aboard Faster Horses which includes replacing the vinyl headliner with a wainscotting panel, and LED lights. I am looking for recommendations for wire connections for the circuit between the new headliner and the fiberglass deck. I have been looking at Wago levers and think that these may be the solution. I would like to have 2 rows (starboard and port) of 3 flush mounted puck lights wired to a dimmer switch, then to the panel via a fuse block. Any recommendation s would be appreciated,
Thanks

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
I've used the Wago connectors in several places on my boat - they have performed very well.

One thing that is really nice, is you can connect and disconnect without a problem. I had one set used for my propane tank connections to the logic panel in the kitchen - I'm so glad I did as I ended up having an electrical problem elsewhere in that system and this allowed me to both bypass that problem when I needed, and to trouble shoot the system until I found the problem. Then I simply hooked everything right back up and no problem.

dj

p.s. getting the polarity right for you LED lights, I would think these would be ideal!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Success stories aside, these look like fancy wire nuts which are not NMMA approved. I don't see where Wago connectors meet NMMA standards. I'm just saying - you need to be aware.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Success stories aside, these look like fancy wire nuts which are not NMMA approved. I don't see where Wago connectors meet NMMA standards. I'm just saying - you need to be aware.
I don't know what approvals they have, but it's my understanding that they are notably better than wire nuts.

I believe they are in a bit of a grey area right now as far as marine acceptance goes. But they were recommended to me originally by a very high end knowledgeable marine supplier. Now, they are not for use in wet areas like a bilge or exterior applications. But for interior use that is not exposed to water - they work very well. Seems the OPs application should work. IMHO

dj

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
Rich, Thank you for your insight and I appreciate your input…. Do you have an alternative that I could and should consider?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich, Thank you for your insight and I appreciate your input…. Do you have an alternative that I could and should consider?
Well I would use heat shrink butt connectors with tinned marine wire. But if you really need to be able to disconnect/reconnect then I would use bullet type connectors and use heat shrink tubing over them to seal out moisture.

• Helpful
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
:plus: for heat shrink butt connectors or, if they have to be "removable",
use bullet connectors with heat shrink tubing. That way all you have to do
is slit and remove the heat shrink tubing and disconnect the wires.
Though I have to wonder how often you might need to disconnect that circuit.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Here is what Practical Sailor says about WAGO connectors.

"The pullout strength of Wago connectors is only about 6 pounds. This is less than a wire nut and considerably less than that of other recommended connectors, but it still meets ABYC and UL requirements if used in a box with strain relief. They cannot be waterproofed and thus should only be used in dry locations."

(Probably paywall)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Here is what Practical Sailor says about WAGO connectors.

"The pullout strength of Wago connectors is only about 6 pounds. This is less than a wire nut and considerably less than that of other recommended connectors, but it still meets ABYC and UL requirements if used in a box with strain relief. They cannot be waterproofed and thus should only be used in dry locations."

(Probably paywall)
The thing about Wagos is that like wire nuts, they should only be used inside enclosures. Use inside enclosures, with strain relief, they are very dependable, very reliable, and very flexible. But they are not suitable for some of the locations where screw-type terminal blocks and splices are acceptable. They are not waterproof and they have limited pull-out strength. In fact, they have been documented to pull apart inside boxes, if they are crammed too tightly and the levers are snagged open (it can happen--some tape the handles down).

I like them, I use them, but only where they are appropriate. In this case, without a box, it will not be an approved use, to my understanding. But I don't quite understand the project, so the OP will have to evaluate that statement. If they can possibly pull loose under the liner, this is a job for splices (I had a fire off-shore when a PO did something similar, and it pulled apart behind a headliner--fire offshore is not cool, since there is no where to go).

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The thing about Wagos is that like wire nuts, they should only be used inside enclosures. Use inside enclosures, with strain relief, they are very dependable, very reliable, and very flexible. But they are not suitable for some of the locations where screw-type terminal blocks and splices are acceptable. They are not waterproof and they have limited pull-out strength. In fact, they have been documented to pull apart inside boxes, if they are crammed too tightly and the levers are snagged open (it can happen--some tape the handles down).

I like them, I use them, but only where they are appropriate. In this case, without a box, it will not be an approved use, to my understanding. But I don't quite understand the project, so the OP will have to evaluate that statement. If they can possibly pull loose under the liner, this is a job for splices (I had a fire off-shore when a PO did something similar, and it pulled apart behind a headliner--fire offshore is not cool, since there is no where to go).
Yep, that is exactly what Practical Sailor said.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
you can put a piece of heatshrink over Wago nuts with a bit of dialectric grease over the open ends of the connectors to make them less likely to open or get corroded. I spliced butt connectors when i redid my wiring. This was before i discovered Wago nuts. If i ever do it again, i'm going to use Wago connectors. I have used them in a few places aboard the boat and have been very happy with them. I could have done all my lighting in 1/10th the time had i used them when re-doing my lighting.

That being said, I would not use them in areas where any wire strain was possible and i do put a big piece of heatshink over them. I like them a lot but they certainly are no replacement for a crimped on terminal. For LED lighting, i think this is a perfect application for them.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You will install these in a "hidden" space where you can hide extra wire. Go with heat-shrink butt connectors. Provide a little slack instead of installing "just enough" wire that stretches between two ends. Enough slack (should you need it) to clip out the inch of the butt connecter and then reattach the cables.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Wire that is carrying signals to another place even if it is not spliced together to make it longer, should not be strained anywhere that it could be pulled apart. Nor should it touch against something that could expose the conductor for that matter.