Wiring Harness In Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pictou Sailor

Does anyone have any problem with wiring harness in mast. I have been told that I should change this as it isn't a good set up. If anyone has can you tell me what you did. Thanks. Catalina 30 Tall Rig 1985

A

AL Hughes

Wire project

Good day I have a Catalina 22 #81. I used the low voltage twin lead wire that is used for Outdoor walk way lights. I found that the insulation is very heavy and the copper wire is a heavy gauge. This handles the current to the anchor lights at the top of the mast very well. When using this wire, you need to seal the striped ends with silicon rubber sealent. The sealent keeps moisture from attacking the copper wire. Also use the nylon cable tie staps at verious angles around the wire at about two foot apart, this keeps the wire from banging inside the mast. You will need to customize your cable to meet your mast lighting requirements. I hope that will give you a guide to your needs. Fair winds AL

R

Robert Moretti

Not good? Why not?

What were you told about the wiring? On my 1985, as on most C30's, the mast wiring enters the boat through the mast step. Some C30's, I believe the earlier models, had the wiring exit at the bottom of the mast, then enter the cabintop. Water does accumulate at the bottom of the inside of the mast after a rain, and it can and usually does follow the wiring tube down into the bilge. But changing this setup is a major endeavor (lots of time, work, or money), since it involves re-running all the wiring in the mast through the cabintop, along the roof of the cabin, down the side of the cabin, and to the electrical panel. Doing this and ending up with an attractive result is a bit of a challenge, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.