wiring for GPS to Vhf

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Maine Sail and others:

What type (size, source,etc.) do you use to hook up your GPS to your VHF? I Know these are just data wires but they seem so small. Are they like data (Phone/patch) cables? Are they tinned? Connections crimped or like phone lines?
Thanks

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I used Belden RS232 cable I had but asked the same question. I had a spool of CAT5 cable too but decided to use the Belden cable because it was jacketed and shielded better. I ran mine back to a NMEA imput on my C70 chartplotter at the helm. I don't think it makes a big difference. Any good communication cable will work.

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
Any data cable will do ...

VHF at the nav station, GPS/Chartplotter & RAM at the pedestal so I needed to run cable between the two. I went to the local home improvement store, bought a 50' long CAT-5 computer cable, cut the ends off and used what I needed to connected the GPS/Chartplotter to the VHF. CAT-5 is stranded twisted pair to maintain signal integrity.

I'm on fresh water so I was able to get away with butt connectors.

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
If any of it is exposed to the environment use marine grade. I just rewired my mast, at some point the VHF antenna cable was rewired using computer room RG8, and the wind gauge instruments with computer room date cable, probably phone cable because only 5 wires are in the bundle; no shield either. Both were badly corroded, the RG8 especially bad for several feet from the ends. The connectors corroded away too as those were not marine grade either.

I am will be rewiring the boat with proper size and type of cable too.

Computer room is from my old life as a computer engineer and programmer. Computer room is a stable environment of temperature and humidity; very different than on a boat in salt water.

VHF at the nav station, GPS/Chartplotter & RAM at the pedestal so I needed to run cable between the two. I went to the local home improvement store, bought a 50' long CAT-5 computer cable, cut the ends off and used what I needed to connected the GPS/Chartplotter to the VHF. CAT-5 is stranded twisted pair to maintain signal integrity.

I'm on fresh water so I was able to get away with butt connectors.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Small diameter wire has less capacitance / ft so it does not attenuate the signal as much as a larger diameter wire. For small runs like on a boat this is not much of an issue, up the mast is getting close though especially for instruments that operate at less than 5 volts
Also, 18 gauge and smaller are not allowed to be run as singles as they are "too weak" to ensure not getting broken. You have to run multiple wires in a jacket to meet code.
I've gotten away with commercial cat-5 and serial comms cables by using a generous mitten full of Life-calk on the ends to keep moisture from going up the wire underneath the insulation

Oct 20, 2006
- - Toledo, OH
I currently have my VHF and GPS connected via butt connectors, but I would like to install some type of quick disconnect plug so I can easily remove my VHF for the winter. Any ideas? I know the 3 wires from both the VHF and GPS are very small, so I am not sure what size/type of plug style connectors are available.

thanks,

Joe

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
On the Cat 27 the radio and the gps are close enough together that I used the cable that came with the units. I did use the small crimp connectors that came with the new radio. They are cleverly made such that when you crimp them the exude silicone from the wire opening. I have not been able to find them on the market. I checked at Fry's and then did not have them either. I will take pictures of them next time I'm at the boat. Hopefully soon. I want to take advantage of the full moon and warm weather, IT'S LOBSTER SEASON!!!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I currently have my VHF and GPS connected via butt connectors, but I would like to install some type of quick disconnect plug so I can easily remove my VHF for the winter. Any ideas? I know the 3 wires from both the VHF and GPS are very small, so I am not sure what size/type of plug style connectors are available.

thanks,

Joe

Joe, try Radio Shack. Really.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I used a db9 serial cable, for the phone jack to the vhf I think I just used some hookup wire I had laying around - maybe 18 or 16 gauge.

Some mentioned cat-5 - question: cat 5 has 4 sets of twisted pair, for 8 total wires - if you use one of the twisted pairs as your 2 wire data connection (solid color + same color on white) would this cause interference in the signal due to the twisting??? I'm thinking yes.

Dec 1, 2011
On the Cat 27 the radio and the gps are close enough together that I used the cable that came with the units. I did use the small crimp connectors that came with the new radio. They are cleverly made such that when you crimp them the exude silicone from the wire opening. I have not been able to find them on the market. I checked at Fry's and then did not have them either. I will take pictures of them next time I'm at the boat. Hopefully soon. I want to take advantage of the full moon and warm weather, IT'S LOBSTER SEASON!!!
You will find them as "waterproof butt connectors" at electrical supply houses.

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
I used a db9 serial cable, for the phone jack to the vhf I think I just used some hookup wire I had laying around - maybe 18 or 16 gauge.

Some mentioned cat-5 - question: cat 5 has 4 sets of twisted pair, for 8 total wires - if you use one of the twisted pairs as your 2 wire data connection (solid color + same color on white) would this cause interference in the signal due to the twisting??? I'm thinking yes.
They are twisted pair specifically to eliminate interference. That is the difference major difference between telephone wire and CAT-5.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
digiKey.com has all kinds of waterproof quick connect for small wires
While you are considering running wires you might want to consider all the signal carrying wires going from the helm to the nav station and replace them with one cat 5 cable. terminate it on a rib connector (link) in a junction box at each end. makes connecting very simple and waterproof.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50554#.UGunTuP82o0

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
They are twisted pair specifically to eliminate interference. That is the difference major difference between telephone wire and CAT-5.
yeah, not to drag this to far off topic, but I thought the receiver end had to put the two together to make a 'non-interfered' with signal - implying that it's the same signal on both parts of the pair, meaning you need 2 pair (4 wires) to send a 2 wire signal. I guess I just don't understand induction.

Dec 1, 2011
yeah, not to drag this to far off topic, but I thought the receiver end had to put the two together to make a 'non-interfered' with signal - implying that it's the same signal on both parts of the pair, meaning you need 2 pair (4 wires) to send a 2 wire signal. I guess I just don't understand induction.
To let you do a little searching try "signal transmission wiring"

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I just rewired my mast

M & B. Did you have to drop the mast to rewire or were you able to pull wire on your rig? I have to go up to do some work and wondered if it would be possible to check and replace wiring that may be the cause of a couple of faltering instruments

Dec 1, 2011
The mast is off the boat. A few reasons were not being able to drop a new halyard down and a strange clunking; along with no VHF and a running light that should have been off -on.

With the mast on stands you can pull cables, wire and rope very easily.

And, with it on stands it is a good way to clean the tube of nests. Mine had about 5 feet of bird nest in it. Not nice. The bird nest is what blocked dropping in a new halyard. I used several sections of conduit from the store to push down the tube to clear it. Cheap and effective.

Update 10/9/12: the mast has been stepped, the radio antenna works, and the lights work. Now I have to rewire from the step to the control panel and radio.

I just rewired my mast

M & B. Did you have to drop the mast to rewire or were you able to pull wire on your rig? I have to go up to do some work and wondered if it would be possible to check and replace wiring that may be the cause of a couple of faltering instruments

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
GPS signal can be set to 4800 baud - and CAT 5 is suffiecint for the job. Use patch chord - they are stranded and twisted - solder the ends then use a small screw terminal from Fry's or Radio Shack. Only 3 wires are needed - One is signal ground, one to receive and one to transmit. My GPS is connected to both The VHF radio and Radar.