Wiring diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2005
Catalina 310 Sandusky, OH
I have no 12V power to the engine key switch. The wiring diagram in the owner's manual is limited. How can I get a more detailed diagram?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Try another association website

Most of the wiring diagrams from Catalina are pretty much the same. You're welcome to use ours: www.c34.org, left side index, go to Manuals, there's the older and newer versions.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Engine manual

Try this link http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/universal-owners-wiring-diagram.html paulj

Feb 26, 2004
Be careful

that wiring diagram shows an ammeter instead of the voltmeter you most likely have on your boat. Read why here in the related link. The rest of it is pertinent.

G

Gary Malcolmson

Engine Pod 12V Power

There is a circuit breaker on the engine that you need to check. It is on the starboard side, just aft of the fuel filter and in front of the heat exchanger. The red button for the breaker is facing aft. See if this breaker has tripped. If it is, try re-setting it (push it in). If it is tripped it will cut the power to the engine key, fuel pump and instruments. I've not had any issues with this personally, but some have reported issues that will trip this breaker (short in wire harness, faulty breaker and/or faulty fuel pump). Also, if there is a pinched wire, resulting in a short, in the engine harness it can cause this breaker to trip. One area of concern is the wire harness area behind the alternator--things can get bunched up there and pinched. I discovered this when I replaced the hose from the raw water pump to the heat exchanger-was easy to do a little wire re-routing so this area of the harness wasn't so tight. I will see if I have the wire diagram that might help your efforts. Please let us know what you find. Good Luck, Gary Malcolmson 2003 C310 #230 "Rhythm"

Feb 26, 2004
Gary's right, I had forgotten that

the newer boats have this CB (ours is a 1986, back about when they invented wires! :) ). A friend with a 1996 C34 had problems with this breaker and he spent oodles of $$ having a mechanic tell him what I told him over the phone: check the wiring and then check the breaker - it might be bad. He ended up replacing the breaker and all was well, AFTER he checked the wiring.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
2001 C-320

On the 320 2001 model there is a breaker on the bottom of the instrument pod and there is a fuse on the port side of the engine. The fuse is reachable from the aft cabin but it isn't particularly easy to reach. I blew the fuse somehow, that is how I know where it is and after much searching.

Feb 26, 2004
The fuse that Chris mentioned is from

the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
Stu is most likely correct.

It has been over a year and my memory isn't what it was. In my case it acted like dead switch when I tried to start. No oil pressure alarm and if I recall correctly, no guages. I tracked down the fuse on the advice of a mechanic, replaced it and everything has been copacetic since.

Sep 9, 2005
Catalina 310 Sandusky, OH
Found the problem with the wiring.

Thanks to all the many responders to my wiring problem. After standing on my head at the engine (port side, bald head...ouch!) I found the double wire hook-up to the positive terminal on the starter had seperated. One of the wires (10-12 gauge) apparently supplies power to the starter switch. I cut the old solderless ring off and added a heavier gauge ring connector with shrink tubing. All is well. Thanks all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.