Wiring Alternator Without AC Tap

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
It's a long story how I got here, but I'll get to the point. I am about 4 days from home and had to order a new alternator. It came in today and is exactly what I ordered. The problem is that, when ordering, we were looking at the parts catalog for my Universal M-35B. It listed two options for the alternator: one with an AC tap, and one without. The parts guy asked me which I had. Not entirely sure what an AC tap was for, I quickly came to the conclusion that I therefore must not have one, rather than just tell him I wasn't sure and going back to the boat and checking. My foolishness, but that's how I got the wrong alternator.

So, I realized I had the wrong alternator when I pulled the old one out and noticed the wire attached to a post labelled "AC tap". It was at this point that I decided to learn what an AC tap actually is. Now I know.

Here's my question. So far as I can tell, the only thing this tap is used for is for the tachometer. So, it seems that I should be able to simply leave the AC tap wire off of the new alternator and get home without a tachometer. Shouldn't affect anything else. Right?

The correct solution is to exchange the alternator for the correct one, but for reasons not germaine to the question, that isn't a great option. Better to eat the cost of an alternator that I will only use for a few days. I will mount it on my wall when I am done as a reminder of my mistake.

Is there any reason other than the tachometer that I should be concerned about using the new alternator? It does, indeed, fit and otherwise is identical to the one with the AC tap.

Part two is: I believe there is a way to keep the new alternator if I either replace the tachometer and/or use some sort of an adapter. I have just begun to look at these options, so don't know much about them, yet. I figured I would just end up asking my mechanic when I get home if it is better/easier/cheaper to keep the new alternator or exchange it for the correct one. In the meantime, thoughts?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
So, it seems that I should be able to simply leave the AC tap wire off of the new alternator and get home without a tachometer. Shouldn't affect anything else. Right?
Agreed. Assuming you have a good idea of engine noise at key RPMs, you should be fine without tach input.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Often pictures help
AC Tap. is a signal pulse circuit that provides a data source for your Tachometor. You must calibrate your tach based on the number of poles on your alternator's stator. Just so you know, you do not need to use it.
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 16.44.33.png

What do you do if you do not use the AC Tap? You can install an analog sensor to generate a magnetic pulse signal from your camshaft pulley.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Part two is: I believe there is a way to keep the new alternator if I either replace the tachometer and/or use some sort of an adapter.
Please check your existing tachometer very carefully. If you don't have the literature, check the net. If the tach isn't too old, it may be able to get a signal from something in addition to the output of the alternator. I purchased a VDO tack some years ago to replace my original tach and the VDO able to take a signal from anything that moves on the engine. I also have to wonder if it could take a signal from a heart pacemaker :laugh: .

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
If the tach isn't too old, it may be able to get a signal from something in addition to the output of the alternator.
It's "only" about 50 years old. There is a chance I will be replacing my instrument panel anyway ... maybe this winter. The existing panel, at minimum, needs to be relocated. It is in a terrible spot where you just about have to get on all-fours under the helm to read it. Not sure why it's there because there is plenty of room at the binnacle or the mizzen mast.

Are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages of different tach inputs? That is, is there any advantage to using the AC tap or is another method better. Or, is it 6 of one / half-dozen of the other?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Yes, as long as you calibrate whatever you end up with.
Exactly.

Invest in an Amazon optical tach for $17.16 and you can set a new VDO tack dead on.

1719687085256.png

Recalibrate your new VDO tach every 10 years.

You can approximate it with without the the optical tach but it's only by calculation. Sloppy V-belts may alter the true RPM.

• Helpful