wiring a starter solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2008
Catalina 28 Mark Twain Lake
I recently purchased a 1991 Catalina 28' however the starter solenoid had been removed. I purchased a new solenoid but I am not sure how to connect the wiring. The solenoid is not identified with a +/- post and I have 4 wires to connect. Does anyone know where I can find a schematic of the starter system? Thanks

Jan 15, 2006
- - Dallas
This is ONLY A GUESS

but, if it's anything like my Catalina30, then this is what you probably have. The case of the starter is ground when connected to the engine. Therefore, and I only GUESS here, the other wires are +12. There is probably one connector that is a slip on connector and on a smaller wire, and comes from the starter switch. That goes to the slip on connector on the starter solinode. The others have a ring connectors and go to the starter motor stud. One is probably coming directly from the battery. Another one MIGHT be going to the ammeter (if you have one). Don't take my word for it, you need a volt meter to check it out. You also didn't say what color wires they are. Do a search for the Catalina 28 users group. They may have diagrams online, or you may be able to ask there. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I SAID ABOUT THE WIRING AS THE LAST WORD. CHECK IT OUT!

Ray

Mar 10, 2006
Hunter 26 Kettle Falls Wa.
Most solenoids are fairly basic.

Is the solenoid mounted on the starter or seperated? You will have a large battery cable in. There will be a smaller wire from the starter switch that activates the solenoid to pass power through to the starter. There could also be a wire that supplies power out to accessories. There is the possibility that you could have a relay type of Solinoid seperate from the starter. You are basically over your head at this point. If wired wrong you could fry your alternator or other expensive items. The best thing to do is get a wiring diagram from the internet or Catalina or find someone that really knows what is what. It is an easy hook up to a knowledgeable mechanic. There are too many possibilities around how this is wired to guess. Sorry, but I hope this saves you some money down the waves. Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.