Wiring a Sea Era toilet in Cat 30 MKIII head.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
This topic was also posted in the Cat 30 Forum:
We bought the Sea Era and purchased some gear to wire it in the boat. I ran a snake from the panel to the head. Using about 15 feet of tinned, 6 awg (per Raritan) duplex, I plan to pull the wire through. We'll mount two ring terminal posts under the port settee just aft of the head compartment. The hot and ground terminal rings crimped on the duplex will be mounted there. The hot and ground terminal rings crimped on the 14 awg pump motor & switch wire coming from the head will also be mounted there.

Concerned about the 15 amps the motor pulls (albeit briefly), it was suggested that I connect the toilet directly to the battery bank. I plan to install a 25 amp breaker switch (per Raritan) with a on/off throw switch on the power panel so I can shut the toilet off. Another set of hot terminal rings crimped on the duplex will be mounted on the breaker; one from the wire coming from the positive post on the battery. The other end is from the 15' duplex and will lead from the breaker out to the head positive post. The various terminal rings are correctly sized for the battery post, terminal posts and breaker switch.

My question is where to mount the ground wire? Should it be on the battery too? Or can it be connected from the ground terminal strip via the 15' duplex to the motor? If so, do I run only the positive cable from the battery to the breaker and that's it? What do you think of my plan? Thanks, Tim