Wiring a Cabin Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2010
Catalina 30 mkll Lake Grapevine
My main cabin light over the pull out table stopped working. Replacing the bulb didn't work,so I bougth a 12v Zenon light from West Marine ($32). After wiring it up to test it before mounting, I found it didn't work. Any way to track down a wiring diagram that will show me how to replace the wiring or at the very least check its connection point to the electrical panel?

Thanks,

Rick

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Doubt it. A wiring schematic would show you how the lights are wired to the control panel, but not where the wires are actuallly run through the cabin top. If this is the only light affected, it might be easier to run a new cable to the control panel. My Catalina 310 has a circuit breaker marked 'cabin lights'. You could check online for the schematic if you don't already have it.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Nice to see another Grapevine Sailor on here. Amazing how Catalina permanently hid the wiring under fiberglass. After removing a lot of interior trim on my C27 I have sort of figured out how the minds work at the manufacturing plant where they build these things. If all else fails it's not too difficult to run new wiring but I think the old can be located. Problem is probably where that one light stubs off the line, there should be at least 5 lights on that circuit, if the rest work, should be fairly easy to find problem. I'll bet the line is pinched where some trim was added. The factory wiring is pretty cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.