Wires clanging inside mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2010
Oday 222 Northport
Wires to mast light and antenna are clanging around inside mast. Halyards are outside mast. Any recommendations on how best to secure? Have seen posts about installing conduit. Was thinking of simple fix like stuffing some sponges up in mast.

Thoughts?

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina C27 Noank, Ct
When I re-wired my mast, I attached pieces of foam every 5-6 feet to prevent the banging. You don't necessarily need to pull all the wires to do this, you can shove some foam from each end using a long pole.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wire ties.

Pulled tight to the wire. Do NOT cut off the tails. Big size. Place one every 3-4 feet. Will fit thru the smallest openings. They press and hold the wire against the inside of the spar. Don't tangle.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I've heard of running a conduit for the wires through the mast, but I like Jackdaw's idea better. My mast has foam flotation so I don't have a clanging problem.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Wires to mast light and antenna are clanging around inside mast. Halyards are outside mast. Any recommendations on how best to secure? Have seen posts about installing conduit. Was thinking of simple fix like stuffing some sponges up in mast.

Thoughts?
On my 1986 O'Day 222 I have internal halyards. I have one duplex wire that feeds my mast head light and a coax cable. My wires come through the side of the mast at the tabernacle through a rubber grommet and go through an eye strap at the top of the mast just below the mast head and they're bent around the strap and taped together.
wires were tied with zip ties about every 12" but I recently had to remove the wires to work on them and instead of zip ties I used vinyl tape. The wire doesn't bang around in the mast and it seems to be tight enough inside so that it doesn't flop around.
In the picture there are two rivets above the antenna bracket on the mast as we are looking at it right now. These rivets are holding the eye strap inside the mast.

Attachments

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I had this problem with my 302. It turned out to not be the wires, but the factory conduit insode the mast. The conduit had broken loose and was slapping around in there driving me insane. I ended up lowering my mast, removing the factory conduit and installing new pvc as conduit. Ran new wires while I was at it. More here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-your-mast-easier-than-you-think-74077.html

I went through the zip ties and foam insulation steps and none of those worked.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
Had this problem last year- put the wife to sleep for some reason, whle keeping me up all night. We used those swim noodles kids use that have the hole in the middle - slit one side, and just pushed them up the wires, to fill the mast. Cost was $5. We also put a disk in first with a line attached, running with the wires, so we can pull the whole mess out if needed. You will need shorter ones for the mast north of the spreaders as there is a cross support there. No noise at all now, and it is great.....

Feb 11, 2012
the_alpine said:
I had this problem with my 302. It turned out to not be the wires, but the factory conduit insode the mast. The conduit had broken loose and was slapping around in there driving me insane. I ended up lowering my mast, removing the factory conduit and installing new pvc as conduit. Ran new wires while I was at it. More here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/raising-and-lowering-your-mast-easier-than-you-think-74077.html

I went through the zip ties and foam insulation steps and none of those worked.
Read the write up, but was confused by one aspect. Did you hold the PVC with only two pop rivets? Not every 18" as suggested by Don Casey?

Don

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
Read the write up, but was confused by one aspect. Did you hold the PVC with only two pop rivets? Not every 18" as suggested by Don Casey?

Don
You drill 2 holes every however many feet you want. One of the holes is used to insert a wire hook to pull the conduit tight in order to drill it and rivet it. Then you just fill the empty hole the hook was in with a rivet. Repeat this all along the mast at whatever interval you feel is right.

Feb 11, 2012
the_alpine said:
You drill 2 holes every however many feet you want. One of the holes is used to insert a wire hook to pull the conduit tight in order to drill it and rivet it. Then you just fill the empty hole the hook was in with a rivet. Repeat this all along the mast at whatever interval you feel is right.
Got it. That s how I understood it worked. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.