Winterizing

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Last night was 43 here in WI - a hint that fall is around the corner and boating season is coming down to a few short weeks.

I just wanted to ask in general how much of the winterizing the typical owner does and how much they leave to the yard to do?

Myself, since I have installed a number of short cuts, do all the water-system, head, and tanks myself. I always left the AC and Engine to the pro's (on the engine more of an insurance factor, you freeze it you fix it) Now, in a new area and higher prices I am 90% sure I'll do my own AC (I mean, pull the line stick it in antifreeze and run the pump watching for nice pink discharge) Do many of the owners do their own engine, and if so what method do you like the best?

Look forward to some interesting responses.

Russ
s/v Long Story

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Motor is much the same.
Engine should have antifreeze in the freshwater side anyway.
For the raw water side just wail til it is hauled; pull the through hull to strainer hose off at the strainer and run a new hose to a container of your antifreeze of choice.
Run the engine until you get a good stream of antifreeze or the container is empty. There isn't a lot of volume on the raw water side, so if I empty the strainer 1st with my shop-vac I can do this with one gallon/4 litres.
I use the shop-vac anyway to empty the "drinking" water side of my boat so it saves diluting the antifreeze with the contents of the strainer
Peter

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have always done 100% of my own work. I don't trust the yard guys at all.

The one fault I have with what you wrote is that you just wait until you see pink. That can lead to trouble. I have a refractometer. I test the antifreeze before it goes in and I keep going until it's the same coming out.

I am also very particular about the antifreeze I use. I have tested the stuff from the two local box stores and it freezes at 20 degrees warmer than the stuff from Defender.

Both of these concepts are nothing new and just info I go from Maine Sail. He has a great article on winterizing water systems. An article on winterizing engines.

A video on why not to use the cheap antifreeze.

And a video on winterizing a diesel engine.

Or you could go with my preferred winterization method I will be using this year: sail south! :D

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
DIY

I just wanted to ask in general how much of the winterizing the typical owner does and how much they leave to the yard to do?

I always left the AC and Engine to the pro's (on the engine more of an insurance factor, you freeze it you fix it)
Russ,

I agree with Jesse. Whether it's winterizing (which I don't have to do) or ANYTHING ELSE, I do it myself.

I've had two guys do stuff on my boat in the past 17 years. They BOTH f-ed up big time. One was a rigger who neglected to Loctite the set screws on my new furling foil that he, himself, had installed. When I recalled him to the boat, he said, "Geez, the a-hole who put these in didn't use Loctite!" Since he was that guy, I waited until he finished before I pushed him into the water! No, not really, BUT I SURELY WANTED TO. :doh: This was only two weeks later, so he didn't recognize my boat and the new furler he just put on????

The other guy redid a lot of my hoses, and insisted on making a loop into the muffler with the engine exhaust hose, when I told him to use the hump hose. Within a week, that loop had worn against itself to the point of killing the hose on itself. I ripped it out and put the hump hose in.

Pros? Insurance? Sheez, if your engine dies because they were jerks, it's only YOU who are left without an engine. If you want a new one so badly, then, sure, go ahead with having Darrell, Darrell and his other brother work on your boat.

The reality is that the MORE YOU do, the safer you will be. Knowledge is power.

And, the reality also is: It ain't that hard. Heck, if they can do it, so can you. :):):)

And you're also a frequent flier here on this board. You MUST know about Maine Sail's material by now, right?

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Stu, yes your right I should know to look through the files of the "Grand Master" from both looking at his tech pages, and some one on one discussion we had on electrical.... A moment or two of brain fade, and looking to see what the average owner does.

Jess - no Vid?

Russ
s/v Long Story