Winterizing question already?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Based on some research I have done, I've decided to install an inline water filter on the pressurized side of the supply line. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Pentek 158648 housing.
So how does one winterize a plumbing system that has one of these? I admit, I didn't check my copy of Peggy's book. In was wondering if I need to account for winterizing when I install the filter. E.g. Bypass?for
Anyone have an inline filter that has some advice?

317u4ghlQtL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
If it was me, I would remove the housing, remove the filter, drain the water, reinstall the housing without the filter, winterize as normal and then remove the housing to drain the antifreeze. In the spring after commissioning and sanitizing, remove the housing and install a new filter.

It definitely sounds wrong talking about winterizing already. Especially this year.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Jake. That sounds doable, and no special installation.
Definitely odd to discuss winterizing now. If I get around to doing this soon I just want to be sure I account for it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Certainly remove the filter element at the minimum. If the plumbing is not too difficult, consider by passing the filter completely. To make this easier use SS plumbing supply lines instead of barbed hose fittings. Simply unscrew from each side of the filter and connect with a brass or plastic pipe nipple.

In either case the filter housing needs to be drained, obviously. :biggrin:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Dave. I do something like that for the water heater. I hope I have enough room when I figure out where I can install the filter. A lot more room in the unpressurized side of the pump, but I thought the filter works better if pressurized.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Pentek 158648
How is it that you chose that housing? Just curious, as I'm considering adding a filter, too.

Definitely on the pressure side of the pump.

To winterize, remove the filter and throw it out, leave the housing cover off, and bypass it. Bypassing is easy with the plumbing fittings and tubing I use, not tools necessary, I'd just use a union fitting where the filter would be.

Note that the nuts on this union would already be on the tubes going to the filter, I would just need the middle part.