Winterizing process for Columbia 8.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cjharles Boyle

Where can I get a list of steps to take in winterizing an 8.7 Columbia? We have our own procedures, but would like to compare. We're especially interested in procedures for thru-hull fittings.

PS. Many thanks for previous guidance. We had a destroyed cutlass bearing and a driveshaft pitted at inner end. We saved the cost of shaft replacement by cutting off the pitted end and machining a new keyway. That made the shaft shorter, but fully functional

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Not my checklist but pretty good

The Don Casey library off the BoatUS website has 2 articles on winterizing. This in particular on thru hulls: * Close all seacocks except cockpit drains If the boat is hauled, lubricate and exercise the seacocks--all of them--before closing them for the winter. Out of the water an open seacock still admits moisture, frigid air, and perhaps vermin, so close them. Here is a link for the complete article on Fall layup: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/38.htm Here is the link for winterizing the engine: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/37.htm I hope this helps.

L

Larry Wilson

Another 8.7 owner

Charles, I'm an 8.7 owner also. I'm not sure what you're asking about though. Which thru hull fittings are you speaking of? I generally drain all my holding tanks, and add enough anti freeze to cover the bottoms of the tanks. I pour enough antifreeze in the sink drains to fill the drain hoses.Last but not least, I fill the Yanmar diesel cooling system with the same antifreeze. If you're able, it's not a bad idea to run a length of 1/4" hose down thru your cockpit drains (scuppers) to allow for some expansion room if they get blocked and freeze. I haven't had to deal with this issue on the 8.7, but I also have a Columbia Sabre and the scuppers would freeze solid, the cockpit would fill with snow and ice, and flood over into the cabin. There are several 8.7 owners on the Yahoo Columbia owners forum, and all will be glad to offer their expertise. Larry Wilson Urbanna/Deltaville, Va.

Status
Not open for further replies.