Winterizing in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron M

Hello. It's getting cold here in NJ and was wondering what some of you folks do to cover up your boat. Is shrink wrapping a good idea or does it seal in moisture? I put a large blue poly tarp on today, but I can tell already it won't work the way it is. The mast (in its horizontal position of course) is too close to the deck. The tarp ends up almost flat going out from the mast to the rails. Snow and water are sure to pile up! So what are you good folks doing. Thanks - Ron Mehringer

T

Tom

Cut the tarp...

Hi, I use a poly tarp. Loosen the lifelines by disconntecting at the bow and feed them forward thru the stantions so they lie along the rub rail. Then at each stantion, cut a hole for the tarp to slide down over to the deck. This allows a fairly good slope (from mast and deck) to let water and snow drain. Tie a rag over sharp edges (mast crutch, etc.) to prevent chafing the tarp. I believe in plenty of fresh air in the cabin to reduce, eliminate mildew taking hold.

A

Al Beattie

Wagon Bows

Ron, I have used plastic pipe to form wagon type bows to support a poly tarp cover over my Hunter 23.5. I lashed them to the stanchions and it worked pretty darn well. I used 3/4 inch schedule 20 pvc to form the bows with another piece lashed to the bows to form a ridge pole. The only problem with this aproach is it requires a bigger tarp. To keep stress off the stanchions I prebent the bows and used a length of line to the bow from springing open. I got the idea from watching a neighbor build a greenhouse that used plastic pipe to support th e fiberglass panels. As for my mast, I take it off the boat and hang it along one wall of the garage. Al Beattie "ElseWhere"

J

Jim

I agree with Tom

I also use the poly tarp and remove my lifelines. Periodically , I check to make sure no pooling of water/ice is happening. If so, I cut a little drainage slit in the tarp. Don't forget to fill your cockput table mounting hole with marine/RV anti-freeze and pray for the return of warm weather!

D

Dave Condon

Support the mast

If using a cover over the mast, I would like to strongly suggest that the mast be supported too. I had a customer that covered his boat with blue poly tarp for the winter and went away on vacation. During that time, it snowed heavily and due to the weight of the snow on the tarp, it bent the mast. I have always told everyone to support the mast if covering it with a tarp.

R

Ron M

I ended up. . .

I ended up making the "wagon bows" from 3/4" schedule 30 PVC pipe. Put T fittings on the ends where they met the deck and stancions. Also cut holes for the stancions. This still has me worried, but less so than having them tear the tarp because of snow buildup. Thanks for the advice. Ron Mehringer

Status
Not open for further replies.